Thursday, December 6, 2007

Cleaning the Shower Gone Wrong...Terribly Wrong

First you've got to understand that the most embarrassing moments in my life don't happen because I'm not thinking. I mean the general observer might conclude that I'm simply addle-brained, but such is not the case. The truth is that I am often so focused on the task at hand that I miss the larger picture. That's when things can go seriously wrong for me.

Case in point: A few years ago, back in the childless years, Thomas and I were relishing a quiet Saturday. I had slept late and enjoyed a good breakfast. By late morning I was ready to jump in the shower and get started on my day. Being a working gal, Saturday was generally my cleaning day, and there was much to do.

After disrobing and stepping foot in the shower, I decided my first task should begin immediately with a good bathtub scrubbing because, as everyone knows, the best way to clean the shower is while you are in it. That way you don't have to worry about leaning way over, dragging your shirt through the cleanser, or getting your clothes wet. The only problem was that the cleanser was down the hall in the laundry closet and I was naked, but a little thing like that doesn't stop me.

After all, we lived in a two story walk up. No one walking by would see me, and we rarely got unexpected visitors. Besides, it was literally three steps away; the only other person around was Thomas, and he's seen me naked plenty. Moreover, now I was in a hurry. The day was wasting, and I had a lot to do. I was focused.

I was also horrified when, as I was reaching on tip toe to grab the cleanser, I heard a knock on the door. With a quick turn of the head I saw through our large picture window two dark-suited men standing at our door. I'm fairly certain I made eye contact with one of them, but the details are fuzzy at best. Nonetheless, if they had not yet seen me, it didn't take long after my blood-curdling scream.

I hit the deck and broke all world records in the army crawl screaming incoherently all the way. "Thomas! Thomas! I think the missionaries are at the door--and they saw me NAKED!" I made it to the study and crawled onto the futon where I assumed the fetal position and covered myself with the throw pillows yelling the entire time, "They saw me NAKED! I know it--I was getting the cleanser, and I heard the knock, and I was NAKED!--And they're still there! I can't face them! Naked?! Arghh!"

"Shhh!"

"But I was NAKED!"

He waved his hand at me, dismissing my crazy tirade, and walked down the hall toward the door.

Now, talking only to myself, I said, "We'll have to move. I can not face the missionaries at church after they've seen my NAKED! Why does this happen? NAKED?? In front of the missionaries?!..."

Thomas reentered with one of those knowing smirks. "Well, the good news is it wasn't the missionaries, but I think you gave the Jehovah's' Witnesses quite a show." In his hand he held The Watchtower.

For whatever reason they never came back.

As for me, I've stopped walking around the house in my birthday suit for any reason at all, but I still believe the best way to clean the shower is while you are in it. I simply keep cleanser in every bathroom now. Just a little tip to keep you focused.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

LOL! You are too funny! Reminds me of the time I was napping topless and did not hear the apartment manager knocking at the door. I did wake up to the noises of someone in the house. Don't ask me WHY but, definitly WITHOUT thinking, I opened up my bedroom door to find the carpet cleaners in my apartment. Boy, did they get a show!

Oh and I keep cleanser in the shower, too! Cleaning the shower while you're in it only makes sense!

Burgh Baby said...

So that's how you get rid of the persistent Jehovah's Witnesses! Next time they come knocking, we're going to see just how fast I can rip all my clothes off. I can't wait.

Madame Queen said...

My husband and a friend were going to a Christmas party several years ago and went to the wrong house by mistake. After they knocked they kind of peeked in a window and saw a woman walking through the house completely naked. But she just smiled at them and kept walking so I guess she didn't mind!

That story is hiliarious!!

Angie said...

why have I not heard this story. I was laughing so hard--tears.

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh you are too much! I LOVE IT! I have a much too similar story only it involves my brother in law and father in law. I was nicknamed streak for quite some time. TERRIBLE!

Rochelleht said...

HA HA HA! Totally laughing out loud. I love it!! My dh got stuck one night downstairs in his g's with the sister missionaries at the door. We had two open windows on either side of the door. There was no escaping. But he wasn't NAKED, as you so eloquently put it!

Melissa said...

I guess I will have to try that next time they come to my house - NOT! LOL!

Chester The Bear said...

Actually, the best way to meet the JH is naked, or at the very least, semi-naked. They rarely come back.

Well done!

Betsy said...

That is definitly the best story I've heard all week. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Wow. I haven't laughed out loud like this in a long time! Thanks (Just clicked over from Melissa's blog!) You're great!

Megan B said...

I love that story and when you tell it. Funny. And I am back!!! And that is how I clean the shower. Why not?? 2 birds, 1 stone. But why anyone would want to kill a bird I don't know. Miss you!!!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! I love your stories :) And Im glad things like this happen to you..for me to read!

Madame Queen said...

Reading all these comments reminded me of the time I saw my former brother-in-law naked! Mortification! HOW could I have forgotten!

Kate said...

That is so funny! I am just glad it was the JW's - Josh likes to get the paper in the morning in his G's and I think all of our neighbors have seen him... arghhh!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I also have a similar story. While trying to entice my hubby in my birthday suit at the top of the stairs, I made eye contact with my neighbors enjoying a evening sit on the front porch. Needless to say that I "frosted" all my windows after that incident. But too funny, thanks for sharing, a good way to start the week.

desert mom said...

A great laugh to start my day. Laurel I love you! When in Ca. I cleaned house for other people and often thought how easy it would be to clean the showers naked. Never did it but that's the only way I clean my own showers today.

Kira said...

I linked you from the "other Laurel and Tom site". What a great story. Our first little house had the Master bedroom off the front porch (who thought THAT would be a good idea, I don't know). I have actually a couple great stories from that! You are hilarious, I need to check back more often!