Thursday, December 20, 2007

Have Oven Will Bake for Love

Neighbor gifts...clearly there are people on both sides of the fence here. And while it is one more thing to do in a very busy time of year, I'm weighing in on the pro side because, for me, it's about recognizing and loving the people who make up my daily community. Those people whose lives intersect mine on a daily basis mean a lot to me, and while I can't afford to buy them all a gift that monetarily reflects their value to me, I can cook. And it's not really the thing anyway; it's just saying, "I am grateful for you. You mean a lot to me, and I am thinking of you specifically at this time of year." Although, I had to draw the line at the cement donuts. Those I could not bring myself to give despite the kind thoughts that would accompany them.

I like getting the neighbor gifts, too. It just feels so...well...neighborly. I like having my doorbell ring and wishing each other a Merry Christmas. Frankly they could hand me a brick, and I would still delight in their kindness, but I have to admit that I really look forward to Melissa's cookies, the Miner's Martinelli, and Becky's bread. And if I have a vote, I would use it to encourage Shilo to make the "Stupid Popcorn" again next year. It's yummy.

So, for my beloved friends and neighbors, today I baked. Like this:



(The messy counter behind me is an idication of serious work at hand. Please ignore it.)

And like this:



And ended up with something like this:



Which I hope is understood as an expression of a very full and happy heart. Merry Christmas!

12 comments:

Madame Queen said...

Those are gorgeous! You look very Martha Stewart (in a good way!) in your apron. I usually look like someone's homeless grandmother when I bake.

Lauren said...

AWWW!! Those look lovely!

Im with you on the neighbor gifts...this year im going to use gift as an excuse to get to know my new neighbors better...

Stephanie said...

I want to be your neighbor!

Melissa said...

My cookies might look pretty, but holy cow yours tasted soooooooo delish!! If I could take your sugar cookies and figure out how to make the yummy cream cheese frosting stay put like the royal frosting, we might have something girl. Seriously - I love them. Thank you so much for thinking of me. My love handles though do not thank you.

Aubrey said...

You're like a cookie-baking monster! Did you really do all those in one day? Not only do you look Martha Stewart, but your cookies look like they came from her too--you're good!

Betsy said...

They look fabulous! It must have taken you all day to do all of those. You go, girl! (Could I have been anymore cheesy just now?)

Amanda said...

If that were me in the second picture, trying to make/decorate all those cookies, you would see me with my hands pulling at my hair and tears streaming down my face. I'm glad there's someone out there who enjoys it!

And not only did you make cookies, you made different kinds of cookies! Oh my! I think I need to go lie down just thinking about all the work you did.

Lisa-Marie said...

You truly are super woman. i hope everyone feels the love. Next year you need to include a picture of you baking so they REALLY feel the love. That was a LOT of cookies!

P.S. On a very unrelated subject..I'm working on growing my hair out again. Ick. But I'm struggling with the in between stages. What have you got going on with yours right now? From what I could see in the pics it looks so cute. I want a full frontal shot.

Rochelleht said...

Oh girl! SO ambitious. I didn't bake so much this year. Well, a little. Mostly we handed out those little X-mas books from Deseret Book. 40. I did have to supplement with some brownies. But my 18 teacher gifts made over a two day period and my insane Christmas cards probably made up for any lack of baking. I'm tired!

PS: love the pics!

Madame Queen said...

Don't know if you'll see this before Chrismtas, but I just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.

One of the things I'm most thankful for this year is all my new friends. And that includes you!!

Kate said...

i knew you were crazy... this proves it! hmmmm... i wish we were neighbors!

Becky said...

Oh I loved your cookies!!
A little too much! I hid them from my children and husband..eek! I polished them off all by myself...Did I just admit that?!
I am glad you are my neighbor and friend!