Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Advent Update

We have fallen behind in our adventing activities, or oh-so-many-reasons. Reasons that I will explain in another post. Suffice it to say that Christmas is a full-time job!

But, back to the adventing. As most of you know, my goal was to do an activity a day. While that hasn't happened exactly, I have to say that I am loving the whole thing. It gives us something to shoot for, to help us remember and enjoy the little things about the holiday that sometimes get overlooked in the mad rush of just getting the to do list done.

Yesterday we bought candy-canes and ate them by the Christmas tree. The t.v. was off and Christmas music was playing, and we just enjoyed each other, laughing and talking for those few minutes before the kids' bedtime, and I found myself feeling so grateful for the important things that are so right in my life: The gift of my family and the joy we share together. And isn't that what Christmas is about? So I give adventing activities a big thumbs up! Yes, it is one more thing, but for me, it is the right thing for the season. Thanks to the many of you who gave me that nudge to go for it.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as we make our Christmas angels.

6 comments:

Madame Queen said...

We had a moment like two nights in a row in our house -- which must be some kind of record.

Two nights ago the kids went outside with my husband to put some Christmas lights on the house. After getting dinner started I went out and joined them. It was so nice, everybody in a good mood. It was warm (freakishly so, in fact!) and the lights were just gorgeous.

Laurel said...

I think the advent thing is such a great idea. It will probably be one of those things your kids love the best about Christmas and will always remember.

Melissa said...

That is such a cool idea. I might need your help next year - I am going to give it a go!

Amanda said...

It may be one more thing to do, but it's the one thing - making memories - that will actually last for years to come.

Now you've just reminded me that we STILL have not gotten a tree! Geesh! How "Scroogie" of me!

Chris said...

We had an advent calendar every year growing up but each day's little door had chocolate. Yumm. That I could commit to doing every single day!

Rochelleht said...

Good for you!! I'm so glad that you are doing it, but not requiring perfection of yourself. That way, you can really enjoy it for what it is supposed to do: enhance your Christmas experience. YEA!