Monday, December 3, 2007

The Ugly Side of the Christmas Photo


Taking The Family Christmas Picture may be the part about Christmas that I dread. It's always stressful. This year was no different. Everything that could go wrong did. We were tired; Griffin refused to smile as usual; I had the great idea of wrapping Mr. Wicke and I up in Christmas lights so it looked like the kids were holding us hostage. I wanted them holding the end of the string; they wouldn't do it. Then when Griffin would finally smile, the lights quit functioning. Isn't that just typical? We did get one that will work. It's not my favorite. The kids are cute, the parents are a little less, the background still less, but I don't care. It's done. Check it off the Christmas to do list! That is enough for me.

Last year I avoided the whole mess with a brilliant idea: We went to the mall and took our pictures in a photo booth. All four of us crammed in there and had a wonderful time. Then we just used the photo sheet on our Christmas card. I was tempted to do it again, but I thought it might be a bit repetitive. Now I'm considering making it our standard. Who cares about repetitive when I can keep my sanity?

Two years ago we tried to snap a picture after Church one Sunday. Let's face it, getting all four of us in picture condition is not an easy task, so Sunday seemed perfect, but Griffin wasn't having it. We tried cajoling, tickling, and teasing. Finally Grandma Wicke, trying to entice a smile out of him, brought an Oreo from the kitchen. "Griffin...smile and then you can have this cookie." But it only brought wails, tears, and "I want the cookie" demands.

Irritated and tired, I said, "Oh, just give him the damn cookie!" Have I mentioned before that I am a bit short in the patience department?

Anyway, when the kids were just about done and I had recovered some of my good humor I said, "Okay! Let's go! Let's get this picture taken!"

"Just a minute," my sweet little 4 year old Logan responded. "I have to finish my damn cookie."

Yeah. Humble pie is a little tough on the way down. I'm still blaming The Christmas Picture, though. It just brings out the ugly in me.









Griffin not smiling in 2005.

Griffin not smiling in 2007. And mom looks as crazy as she feels.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

You know that someday these pictures will be so treasured as you all sit around and laugh at the good old days. Keep taking them! I love them!

Madame Queen said...

I love the first one! So cute and what a great idea. You have a !!gorgeous!! family.

I lost in the Sears portrait studio when Bubba was just turned 3 and Punkin was about 3 months old. I wanted to get a picture of the two of them together but Bubba would not cooperate. I had only a very small window of opportunity before Punkin either needed to eat or take a nap. I'm surprised no one called DFACS that day.

Rochelleht said...

Oh my gosh, that is cracking me up!!!!

You need to learn photoshop, girl! I swap heads every year. You know with MY boys, there is never a perfect pic. And at this point, I don't even dream of smiles, just looking in the general direction of the camera is a bonus.

You are adorable!!! I love the Christmas lights pic. So cute!

Betsy said...

The lights are a great idea! As for the "damn" cookie - I'm still laughing. The other day, a friend of mine said, "Come on girls, we're going to haul ass to the truck!" and her three year old neice immediatly said, "We're haulin' ass!!" See? You're not the only one.

Laurel said...

hilarious...i really love your Christmas picture...very cute even without the cooperation of your children.

Amber said...

Now you just need to come up with your witty writing to put in your card! I couldn't love the kids expressions more, it brings us into the moment. One year the only picture we had worthy to send had 2 of 4 crying and so it went out. One day, it will be a great source of laughter, right?!?!

Amanda said...

Next year, snap pics while the kids are sleeping and write:
"As visions of sugarplums danced in their heads" and call it good!

I think the picture looks great! What a beautiful family! :)

Lisa-Marie said...

The Ugly Side of Christmas????

I see NO ugly. It is darling! Truly a beautiful family. And we do need to have Rochelle teach us Photoshop cause we have a few family pics that could use it as well.

Wanna know a trick? Don't do Christmas cards. I do Valentines day cards. Who doesn't like a little love at V-Day. Or you could pick Easter, Halloween, St. Patty's Day. The options are endless!!!! Lots less stress!

Lauren said...

What a be-YEW-tiful family!!! I love all the pictures!

Britany said...

Hillarious!! Such a cute idea and I think they turned out great!

Justin said...

My favorite is the part about the cookie.