Monday, January 26, 2009

A Good Reason to do Something Nice for My Mr. Right

Somewhere I heard that the best gift I could give my children is a good marriage. Having been one of the lucky kids whose parents stayed together happily, I think that's true. There is a great sense of safety and security in a home led by happy parents. And I learned a lot about how to be married just by watching them. I hope that Mr. Wicke and I are passing that along to our children.

Judging from my conversation with Logan yesterday, I think I can at least say, "So far so good," and I'll take that.

For whatever reason, yesterday Logan said something or other about people loving each other. I, who can never pass up the opportunity to pick their little brains and see what falls out of their mouths questioned, "Yeah? Who loves each other in this house?"

"You and Daddy."

"You think so, huh? How do you know? How do you know that we love each other?"

"Because I've seen you."

"What d'ya mean, 'You've seen us?' You've seen us what?"

"I've seen you kissing."

"Well, that's true. We do kiss. But how else? How else do you know we love each other?"

"Well...you like to talk to each other."

"Ooh, good one. Yeah. I do like to talk to your dad. Can you think of anything else?"

"Umm...You compliment each other."

"Wow! That's a big one! Good for you. I guess you do know what love looks like, after all."

By now Mr. Wicke had walked into the room. He couldn't help but add, "So a long time from now, when you get to pick somebody to marry, what kind of person is that going to be?"

And here's the answer that made me scream a silent hallelujah: She said, "Somebody nice like you."

Amen! Amen! Amen! Gosh, it's enough to make me want to go out and do something nice for Mr. Wicke right now just so our kids can see it. In fact, I think I will.

14 comments:

Debbie said...

Way to be such an example for your children! A great day to give thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet girl you have. And what great parents she has!! You always make me think when I read your blog...thanks!! (Hope your doing well!!:)

Lisa-Marie said...

My parents used to dance in the kitchen. To this day I am thankful!!!

What lucky kiddos you have!

And I think your kissy picture is a god one! Can't that count as your one good picture?!?!? Even though I don't believe you could take a bad pic. We want proof!!!

Kyle said...

Did you panic for just a second when she said "I have seen you" yikes!
I agree...best present you can give your kids!

Madame Queen said...

As someone who took YEARS to grow out of her "daddy issues" I can definitely say you're giving Logan a wonderful gift.

I will say that when she first said "I've seen you" that I had a mild heart attack on your behalf! ;)

Shana said...

Oh man...that is SO true! I have really learned that lesson more so lately than ever.
With Alyssa turning 4 yrs old, she is so observant. She watches everything Rob and I do and don't do.
I'm so glad that I have a relationship with you Laurel. You have a way that makes me stop and really think about things. Things that if someone that I loved and admired so much didn't take the time to write them down, I'd probably wouldn't think about them much at all.

PS Nice smoocher in the picture! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Your children have an awesome example. You two are so great. (even with the good guy/ bad guy thing) I miss you so much. I'm so excited that you're having a little boy. I haven't been keeping up, so sorry for the late congratulations. I can't wait to meet him.
Miss you all. Give everyone kisses.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

What a great example you are for your children. Your children will always remember these sweet little moments.

Audrey said...

Lovely!!! And I second that Amen! Xee and I have always said that we want the first guy Phoebe falls in love with to be him. Having come from a place where parents didn't stay together, I know how important that example, or lack there of, can be. Thankfully I still ended up with a winner...Thank You Lord! Thanks for sharing. It is a great reminder to us that we lead by example, and those little eyes are always watching!

Happy Warrior in Training said...

Thank you Mrs. Wicke for fostering this priceless lesson in our little angel's life. This kind of thing does not happen by accident. Your persistent (and often thankless) efforts at mothering are paying off!

Rochelleht said...

That rocks. There's nothing better than a good role model (s). Sometimes, this parenting thing is totally stressful, then I just have to remind myself that they learn more by example than by anything else. Looks like you guys are doing it just right.

Pam said...

Awesome story. You are a darling pregnant gal so I'm sure you'll manage to find one picture that you approve of :)

Deanna said...

What a cute smart girl...Just like her mom. And I agree you must be doing something right for her to have learned all those things. kudos to you!!!!!!!!

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

That is fabulous! That is what all mothers want to hear from their kids.
That response made me tear up actually.