Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blank

I am tired. How can I tell? My beds have not been made this week. My friend asked how I was doing and I burst into tears. I have not blogged. I have not read. I have asked my children to fetch a lot of things. The Schwan's man not only brought in the items I bought but also put them in the freezer while I remained on the couch. (And I didn't even care that I have no pride.) But it's the pictures--the pictures, people--that really tell the story.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been editing and filing the pictures we have taken over the last few months. It's not pretty. And I don't even care about the body. I expected the big belly. I never had a flat belly anyway. In fact, this is probably the firmest my stomach has ever been or ever will be for that matter. No. It is all in the eyes.

In every photo within the last five months it looks like someone has stolen my soul--or given me a lot of Valium. Take your pick. The smile is there, big enough to make sure that my "smile lines" are loud and clear, but the eyes? Blank. I've usually got both arms around my kids, but the eyes? Blank. It's the same in every photo.

It's like someone's posing a cardboard cutout of me at various events. Me on Christmas morning: Blank. Me at the zoo: Blank. Me sledding with the kids: Blank. (And don't think for a minute that I'm going to be posting any of the pictures that I'm talking about. I come from a long line of vain women, after all. No, they will stay unpublished where they belong.)

But here's the real tragedy. I don't feel blank. I'm loving this time of my life, despite all the groaning I do about my troll feet (and they are really ugly) but even still, I am truly enjoying the journey, so why don't my eyes tell the story?

The truth is, no matter my other physical shortcomings, somehow I possessed a certain inner vivacity that saved me. I was never the model type. I was the short, "full-figured" gal that was tons of fun. I can't do blank! I don't even recognize that person. And here's the question that puts fear into my heart: Is that blank lady here to stay? Will the Shwan's man always have to put my food in the freezer?

Bottom line: I want one good picture of me pregnant. Just one. One that reflects at least a glimmer of the joy that I feel in my heart. Just so that this sweet boy knows how happy his mom was to shelter him for a while. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Does anyone know a good photographer? I'm afraid I may need a lot of help.

11 comments:

Emily Asay said...

Laurel, I've been reading your blog for a while now and I have to say it is one of my favorites, but I don't think you know me so I don't comment! Anyway, I love that your blog is so honest and you just tell it like it is, I wish more people were like that. Secondly, I think you are GORGEOUS (seriously) and have that bubbly Peterson personality that truly makes you glow. Your mother taught me singing lessons when I was in middle school and I have idolized her since. She is a gem. PS I'm prego too but only have a few weeks left.

Susan said...

I never had that "pregnancy glow" that some women seem to have from the moment they conceive. I remember seeing you one Cowley's Day and thinking that you were absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine your sparkling eyes ever looking blank. In a short time your eyes won't look blank, just bloodshot from the lack of sleep!

Jennifer said...

First of all - you might need the Schwann's man to keep loading your freezer for the next year or so. But, I promise it gets better. I was actually feeling okay this morning, and my mom said "Oh sweetie, you look so tired, are you okay?" So - I guess I still have the "exhausted" look that I've had since I first got pregnant with Connor.

Secondly, I think you need to go get one of those beautiful professional photographs of you pregnant. I've not done it in either pregnancy, and I regret it. A photographer in a studio will work with you until you look exactly how you envisioned you'd look when you first found out you were pregnant. Some of my friends have these photos, and I love the radiant look on their faces. You are seriously not only a "ton of fun", but also one of the most beautiful women I've met. I know pregnancy hasn't changed that - even if you are hiding your photos from us!

Love ya!

Lauren said...

I have 3 GREAT photographers. My Rachel does a good job. Shawna does a good job, too. Also, there is another of my good friends' best friends that does it and is amazing. If you want info, email me at laurenshum@hotmail.com. Hang in there. Do we need another lunch at Cafe Rio? ;)

Shabwan said...

Laurel...

You don't know me, but I love your posts and sneak a peek quite often. You are funny and clever and geniune. I had wanted to get some pics of my daughter before she had her baby so I did an "images search" on google. Now this website is probably over the top...

http://www.linnealenkus.com/pregnancy9.html

But it will give you some creative ideas for you and Mr. Wicke. There is nothing more beautiful than a woman sacrificing her body to bring a life into the world. Whatever you choose...will be awesome. You are an amazing woman...P.S. I wish the Schwann's man made stops at my house!

Leandra said...

The "blank" comes from the "tired." You can't help it, it's just there. I see the same thing when I look at pictures of myself from both of my pregnancies.

I don't know of a photographer in your area, but what you need to do is schedule a photography session right after your prenatal massage and combo mani/pedi.

Amber said...

your being too hard on yourself, that is what we do when we are about to give birth, we are done, tired and overwhelmed and then to top it off we get on ourselves for not feeling over the top. I mean why shouldn't we, we are about to have a baby, the greatest miracle of all. Its a vicious circle. I saw you, in person and the very same light in your eyes was there that I was drawn to years before. It hasn't left. Your persepective is untrustable when you are in this state! But, with that said, I DO think getting great photos of yourself while preg. is hugely important. DO IT!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I think that we all had the blank moments in our pregnancy, especially when we are nearing the end. There is SO much that no one tells you, how could they, you really have to experience it to understand.
The blank is not here to stay but it may take a while before you are really you again. This is normal, very normal. Just to let you know that I do not have one picture of either of my pregnancies until the day I end up at the hospital. Then I show off my bulging belly and smile that smile that tells that this soon will be over and I can finally meet this new person. No matter how blank I felt up to that point in my eyes in those pictures I can see me starting to emerge, knowing that soon I will be me again.....Hang in there and remember that we have all been there.

Shana said...

Awww...sweet and beautiful Aunt Laurel! I will never be able to imagine you being blank in the eyes, or looking anything but a "perfect 10"!
I think that a nice and personal photo shoot of you and your beautiful baby belly is just what you need to capture how you truly feel inside.
It is so hard in the hussle of every day life, to "look the part" all th time. It just isn't possible. Some days we look pretty good and others...not so much!

I love you!

Debbie said...

I feel the same lately! I think my hormones are messed up..darn hormones!
Wendi lee is doing 20 $ sitting fee for a few people.. Call or email her! She's close...

Audrey said...

Oh dear Laurel, I cannot imagine your eyes blank...nothing about you is blank. But I get it. I've been there. I wish I could say that this baby will stop sucking the life right out of you as soon as he is born. You know that would be an outright lie! But you know as well as I do that mommyhood is just IN you. And those kids are blessed beyond measure to have you. Btw, I highly recommend the belly pics. They are lots of fun.