Monday, August 30, 2010

Failing and Grace

"I feel like I'm failing most of the time."  My throat began to swell with the hard reality of that phrase.  The worst thing about parenting is the attention it calls to my own weaknesses.  Most of the time I feel like I'm being allowed to do surgery without having finished med school. 

"Oh, sweetheart.  You are a wonderful mother," my own mother's soothing voice came through the receiver.

"Oh, but I'm not," I cried.  At least I am not the mother I want to be. "I'm impatient, and short-tempered, and--I mean, I know these things about myself."  Or, better said, I am learning these things about myself, and I wish I weren't.  Parenting causes me to stretch in every direction, and even after all that stretching, I wish I felt like I was "there."  Instead I feel like I so often miss the mark, and all that is in sight is that raging gap between where I am and where I wish to be. 

Even when I try to do the right thing.  The good thing.  Like this trip to San Diego with Griffin.  I know he has been struggling.  WE have been struggling, this battle of wills it seems:  He doesn't want to do, but there are some things he must do...And so I made a goal that this trip was going to be all about Griffin.  We were going to do the things he wanted, on his schedule.  We were going to remember that we really do like each other, underneath it all.  I don't want him to feel picked on all the time, and I don't want to feel frustrated all the time, either.

"And?" mom questioned.

"And most of it has been good.  Really good.  But last night...ugh, it just breaks my heart."

The night before we had been on our way home to Mesa.  We had spent four terrific days in San Diego, just the two of us, and we had had a wonderful time together.  I said yes a lot.  Yes to a $20.00 bike surrey ride.  Yes to staying up late.  Yes to the bubble gun at Sea World.  Yes to two hours petting the stingrays.  Yes to playing in the park until it got dark even though I was hungry.  Yes to walking two blocks to use the gumball machine.  Yes to eating crepes outside.  Yes to sitting in the Shamu soak zone.  Yes to splurging for the Sea World Skytower ride.  Yes to staying at the beach "just a little longer."  Yes to games of "touched you last."  Yes to falling asleep watching TV.   Yes to buying Scooby Doo 2 to watch on the way home--A lot of yesses.

And I said "I love you" a lot.  And he said it back.  And we snuggled, and held hands, and played on the beach, and laughed, and talked.  And that was good.

Then on the way home we made an unexpected detour.  Having found out that my brother was getting remarried on short notice the next day, I decided we should make the trip and be there; the only downside was that is meant driving until 3 am.  And I was already tired of driving.  So was Griffin, but he was a good sport and watched Scooby Doo-2 ten more times over the next many hours.  Despite my useless pleadings that he use the earphones, that meant that I got to listen to Scooby Doo-2 ten more times as well.  Good times.  Good times.

By 11 pm that night, I was feeling the burn.  Even if we stopped in Vegas, it was at least two more hours of driving.  Shaggy and Velma were fraying my nerves.  We needed gas, and as we filled up Griffin asked if he could drink his very large, red Gatorade, which I had said "yes" to against my better judgement.

"Okay..." I said, unscrewing the lid and handing it to him, "but don't spill, okay?"

Moments later, as I was cleaning the windshield and trying to convince myself that two more hours of driving was not so very bad, I saw his eyes go wide, and I knew.  And when I didn't see him stoop to retrieve it, I knew that, too:  The bottle was sitting bottom side up, gurgling its vast contents onto the floor. 

I ran to the passenger side and pulled open the door.  "Griffin!  What are you doing?!  At least pick it up, son!"  The mess was everywhere, and what ticked in my brain was the extra 25 minutes this was going to add to our trip in clean up time.  My aggravation bubbled over.  "C'mon!  Are you kidding me?  Great.  Just great!  Argh...Move out of the way, son!  I can not believe..."  He sat there silently as I dabbed, and sopped, and scrubbed, complaining both over and under my breath.  Twenty five minutes later, the job was, indeed, done, and I had regained my cool enough to see my son.

Really see him. 

And I knew.  I knew his little heart was hurt.

I took a deep breath.  "Honey, I'm sorry I lost my temper.  I should not have yelled.  You are more important than this car.  I don't want you to think otherwise."  And then I took his face in my hands.  "I want you to know something.  You are a great kid.  You hear me?  You are...a great kid."  And that's when his eyes welled up with tears.

I am ashamed of myself, because I had given him reason to doubt it.  There it is again--that raging gap between where I am and where I wish to be.  I only hope that my failure is not so large that it swallows my children whole.

I am imperfect.  That is one thing that parenting is teaching me very clearly, but this I vow.  I will keep stretching; I will keep trying; I will keep loving despite my imperfections, because they are great kids, and though I sometimes feel that they deserve better than me, I have to believe in God's wisdom.  That He was not wrong in letting us improve one another at the same time.  That there is a built in buffer that offsets the natural failings that come with parenting. Some days I fail.  But some days I succeed.  I hope those days hold more weight.

All I can do is try and pray for grace--both from God and my children, those who see me in all my weakness--and that they will love me anyway, and know, wholeheartedly, that I love them.

10 comments:

Erin said...

You always amaze me with your deep introspection and your power with words. Often times I make Bill read your words to express how I feel. And it really helps him understand my inner struggles more. These are struggles that I think all mothers have. I love you Laurel and I am so thankful we are able to be sisters (in law)!

desert mom said...

Elegantly written for many of us mothers who pray that our children will forgive us for our failures and at the same time realize that we love them eternally.

Lisa-Marie said...

This truly is an answer to my prayers. I am having these exact same struggles with Connor right now (as many moms probably are.) And I think (know)that I need to look him in the eyes also and tell him what a good kid he is. I need to start seeing THAT side of him more than I do. Why do I think that pointing out his faults will make him want to do better? And why do I need a blog post to help me see that? Sheesh. BUT, I am sure thankful for you and this post. And I'm sure Connor will be too.

And yes, you do write so elegantly. And I'm glad that you and griffin had a good time!

tawnya said...

Tears. This? This is me. On a daily basis. I worry that I fail. That I don't do enough. That I'm not good enough for this gig. Sigh. The trappings of mom, right?

Deanna said...

Thank you for so elegantly expressing every true mothers inner-most thoughts and desires. You are AMAZING. I am constantly in awe and am so thankful for your inspiration. So often I find myself thinking of all you do and wishing I were more like you. This post is in so many ways an answer to my unprayed prayer. Thank-you for being so open and honest...somehow knowing I am not alone in these thoughts and feelings and when, I look at the crowd I stand among, somehow it makes me feels better... I figure as long as we recognize our shortcomings and pick ourselves up agian will the promise of never throwing our hands up and saying I quit...we are on the right track.

Shana said...

I'm not completely sure whether to blame the fact that I have raging crazy hormones going on within my body, or the fact that I can relate TOO well to your post, but as I read your words my heart ached and my eyes are wet.
As you describe your relationship and the constant tug and pull with Griffin, I see myself and my daughter Alyssa.
I often loose my temper and patience with her, and then when I stop to see her reaction, I see that she doesn't always understand and her feelings are really hurt. Motherhood is the hardest career anyone could ever have. Noone could have prepared me completely for the kinds of things we mothers have to endure day in and day out.
I just want to say thank you for letting me know that I am not the only mom out there that feel like they are failing to be the kind of mom they want to be all the time.
Also, for the record, I agree with grandma Peterson, you are a great mother.
I guess we just keep chugging along, trying to do better everyday. I think we'll get there!
XOXO! I love you!

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation to you , they don't remember all of our "crazy" days - especially if they hear "I love you" a lot.

The Kriloff Klan said...

I want you to know something. You are a great mom. You hear me? You are...a great mom!

I watch you and am so thankful that I have your example in my life! I am thankful that you are real! I love that you listen to me & my complaints & weeknesses & that you dont't judge me & walk away. You are a treasure in my life & I thank you for the opportunity that I have to raise my children alongside you. Someone to look up to in so many ways. We can strech....we can do hard things...we are great! Love you my friend!

PS I feel a shopping trip coming up, I need some more tight fitting clothing!

Audrey said...

Oh dear friend, thank you for so eloquently putting into words this very raw maternal struggle...that place between our purest of hearts and our...well, humanness. We are human after all, aren't we?

Although Phoebe is my Logan, strong, determined, etc...she is a lot like Griff-impulsive! How I relate to this post, as can every mother on the planet who ever lived and ever will. Thank you Lord for Your grace that covers it all!

Tamara said...

Every time I read your blog I miss you, I miss seeing you, I miss talking to you, and I wish I knew your kids better. They are beautiful...so are you, remember it! They are lucky to have you as their mother. Anyone that knows you would not think otherwise. I love you and always wish to see you. I hear it is nice in your neck of the woods, especially in winter.