Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yesterday by the Clock

At 8:22 I waved to my kids as the bus pulled away on the first day of school.

At 8:37 I said goodbye to Megan and her kids, the last of our summer visitors.

At 9:00 welcomed the first guests for our "The Bus Just Pulled Out Breakfast for Moms."

At 10:54 the last of my girlfriends left after graciously tidying up my kitchen.

At 11:05 I put the baby down for his nap.

At 11:09 I enrolled and funded my children's school lunch accounts.

At 11:30 I lay down in my unmade bed.  I listened to the quiet of the house and tried to sleep.

At 12:20 I gave up and did all the stuff my brain was telling me I was supposed to do: laundry and lots and lots of cleaning.

At 3:15 I picked up Griffin for gymnastics.  He reported his first day was "Awesome!"

At 4:02 I returned home just in time to greet Logan off the bus.  Despite not getting to share her bag of 10 things yet, she had a great day.

At 4:15 we walked over to our friends to see how their first day went where Griffin's little buddy broke the bad news that yes, even though Griffin didn't get a yellow card, he did get his name removed from the Respectful Rattlers list--whatever that means, but hey!  We'll take what we can get.  No yellow card?  Success!

At 4:46 pm we left to pick Griffin up from gymnastics. He was sweaty and gross and totally happy.

At 5:06 we stopped at QT for first day celebratory drinks: Diet Coke, Strawberry Fanta, and Strawberry Banana slush.

At 5: 20 we returned home and went through backpacks and finished up new school year paperwork.  (That in itself should be a deterrent to having any more children.)

At 5:32 Daddy came home and all celebrated!

At 5:40 the children took a dip in the pool.  (It is HOT and muggy here!)

At 6:10 dinner was served.  Over dinner we talked about and assigned morning chores.  After much haggling it was still determined that chores would be a requirement.

At 6:33 the kids continued swimming.

At 6: 52 the baby got a bath to distract him from Daddy leaving for mutual.

At 6:58 Daddy snuck out.

At 7:10 the baby got out of the bath and Logan and Griffin showered and bathed.  I am not entirely sure that Griffin used soap, but by the time of my discovery, he was already out and dressed.  Does rinsing count?

At 7:20 I put the baby to bed.

At 7:41 I blow dried and straightened Logan's hair for the morning.

At 7: 47 I insisted that Griffin quit screaming and running with the dog and go get a book to read out loud to us in the bathroom.  He chose Green Eggs and Ham.  Logan was astounded that I could correct him without looking at the book.  I know my Suess.

At 8:00 I told the kids to brush teeth and say prayers..repeating that phrase at least three times.

At 8:07 I rounded the corner just in time to kneel with Griffin who told me he was going to say his prayers to himself, but then changed his mind and said them out loud anyway.  My favorite phrase?  "...and please bless that we will know what to do...and when to do it...and how to do it."  The boy has his bases covered.

At 8:08 We read one chapter of Vin Fiz.

At 8:17 We read one chapter of Nancy Drew #12.

At 8:28 Daddy came home and joined us.  I breathed a sigh of relief.

At 8:34 Daddy and I gave hugs and kisses and turned out the lights.

First Day of School finished!

Favorite Quote of the Day:
When we were walking into Meet the Teacher Night the evening before the first day of school, Logan said, mumbling to herself:  "Okay.  Stand up straight.  Shoulders back.  Chest out.  Deep breath."  I nearly couldn't contain myself.

5 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Your day makes me tired!!

Jennifer said...

Logan sure is a chip off the old dramatic block, isn't she? How fun to see lovely you reflected in your daughter! Just today I was driving home thinking, "I need my girls! I need another weekend right now!" June is just too far away! Do something good for yourself...sounds like you need some Calgon time!

Jennifer said...

I just realized that I used an exclamation point to end every sentence but one...which isn't like me when I write...but is like me in life. Forgive the "screaming" exclamation points!!!

Quigley Family said...

Delightful. It sounds perfect- your life even, not just the first day of school.

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

love the quote of the day! that is great!
And Griffin is so good at gymnastics! On our walks during church he shows me stuff..he is good!!!
And lucky him to get out of school early to go!