Friday, August 20, 2010

Instead

I think I promised I'd get back to regular posting.  And then this last week went and made me a liar.  Darn week.

I actually started writing something on Monday.  Something that I don't know how to write.  Something still unsettling to me.  Something both sacred and sad.  Something about which I'm unsure if all mothers will relate to or something that will just make me look like a failure, which is frankly how I felt--make that, still feel.  Something that I will finish writing once I can wrap my mind around it and find the end.

Sometimes when I can't make sense of something, I have to stop looking at it for a while.  Instead I need to gain control over something, like organizing the playroom, which I did.  Something that requires presence of mind and body.  Something that makes sense out of chaos.  And then I need to do something physical, like take an adult ballet class, which I did.  Something demanding that beats out that pent up emotion.  And then I need to do something comforting, and since I can't crawl up onto my mom's lap anymore, I call her, which I did.  And like always, she drenched me in love until I was dripping with it.  And finally I need advice, so I go to lunch with dear friends, which I did.  And I lay out my burden and pick their brains.

And then I think.

And hopefully
I will write.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Hugs to you! You have such a way with words. You are very inspiring. Take care!

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

Thanks for your posts, Laurel, they make me think and cry all of the time.

Jewel said...

I'm sending hugs to you all the way from Billings, Montana. You are a gift, Mrs. W. A gift I've had for nearly 4 decades. How lucky am I?

Rochelleht said...

Wow. Can't wait to read what's in your amazing brain. And I'm so glad you have so many wonderful resources. I love it!

Becky said...

I love you. If ever there was a mom who WASN'T a failure...it is YOU! I don't care WHAT the situation is...you are an amazingly wonderful, loving mother!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

i say speak your mind..most likely we have been there, or will be there and it would be good to hear what you have to say, and how you took it/handled it

Good luck, being a mom sure can be hard

Laurel said...

i really like your brain.
just so you know.

Madame Queen said...

If it makes you feel any better, we've all had those moments. When you're ready to write about it, we'll be here. Not judging.