Thursday, June 24, 2010

This One's for the Moms

Most days I feel like I'm waging a losing battle.

1.  Teaching/getting/cajoling/forcing the kids to stop bickering...lost battle.

2.  Convincing/forcing Griffin to stop arguing with me...lost battle.

3.  Keeping a clean house...lost battle.

4.  Keeping my cool...lost battle.

I say this out loud because I think most moms feel this way.  Even when we are doing a pretty good job.  There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think, "That could have gone better," or  "I could have handled that better."  And I think we need to say that out loud so that we don't feel like we are all alone.  So that we know that struggling is just part of the gig.

And just because we lose some/a lot of the battles doesn't mean we'll lose the war.  I really believe that if kids know they are loved, deeply, deeply loved, just about eveything else is forgivable. 

And I love my kids. 

And I know you do, too.

8 comments:

Mark & Shayla said...

I'm glad you said it outloud. I'm feeling it--but at least I'm not feeling it alone anymore. Thanks!

Stacey said...

I lose battles daily....a fact of life...BUT....I hope I win the war(as a whole) of raising kids. Moms have the HARDEST job on the planet. Thanks for saying it aloud.

Ashlee said...

Once again, you said it! When are you going to bring your cute family to the beach? You know you could stay for free...and the sun is free...and no charge on the sand either....seems like a win-win-win to me!

Ashlee said...

PS. The ocean breeze is free too - and you can leave you triple digit weather behind!

Shana said...

As my friendly Oklahoma Baptists would say- "AMEN SISTER, AMEN!"

The Carey Family said...

I love your wisdom Laurel. You are such a great mom! Wish I could be more like you. Watched Anne of Green Gables this week, along with all of the sequels and continuing stories. The entire time thinking of how much she reminds me of you. You are so wonderful!

Jennifer said...

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of day I had today. It made me feel old and tired and grouchy, and not at all the kind of mom I feel like in my heart. I told my boys tonight that it's my job to help them get to heaven...then I got thinking, they are also my path to heaven. Thanks for reminding me that I'm just a regular mom, and not as bad as I sometimes feel!

Audrey said...

Thanks for the reminder :) I just love you!