Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oh, What do you do in the Summertime?

How do I know it is summer?  We have already had a family BBQ and swim party.  We have already taken a family cartrip.  We started swim team.  My daughter is already begging for a sleepover with her best friend in the whole wide world.  ("Pleeeeeeease?") We are all a tiny bit sunburned.  I'm wearing my swimsuit.  I'm sweaty.  And tomorrow is the beginning of summer movies.

Those are the signs of summer around here, and it's only been a week.  Whew!

And somewhere, amid all that chaos, we already created a favorite memory for me.  On Friday, when the kids ran out of things to do and began bickering, I called them into the dining room.  "Come here, kiddos and bring the book!" I insisted.  Logan dutifully grabbed Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, and I convinced a mopey Griffin to participate with the promise of something special. 

I handed him all the blankets out of the ottoman, and then he and I hung them over and around the dining room table.  Then the three of us, armed with snacks, pillows, and a good book, climbed into our little "rat's nest" underneath and read an hour away--with no bickering.  Imaginations only allowed.

And imaginations at work is the best summer sign of all!

4 comments:

Shana said...

I might be stealing that story time underneath the a tent idea for "quiet time." Naps are few and far between for Alyssa now, especially when we are busy outside running around doing things in the summer. She loves to read books, so this would be a great way to spend some quiet rest time in the afternoon when I am running low on steam.
XOXO! Thanks!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

What a fun idea...I wonder if it would work with a 16 year old boy and a 14 year old girl...I really doubt it! Your kids will remember this summer, and the fun under the dining room table forever.
ENJOY!!!

Laurel said...

i honestly like to think that when i get to be a mom, i will be a mom like you.

i like to think that.

LOVE IT.

Audrey said...

Sounds great!!

Miss you guys :)