Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Olfaction & My Leave of Absence

I didn't mean to leave, especially on that sad note, but Logan got sick, and then Griffin got the flu, and when I wasn't taking care of them, I was smelling Lincoln's hair.  I love his hair.  It's so soft and downy, and I love rubbing my face in it, and then it smells so good that I have to start all over.  It's a compulsion I can live with. 

But what I haven't been able to do is clean up vomit, do loads of laundry, sniff baby heads AND blog all at the same time.  Something had to give, and you can be sure it would not be the baby sniffing.  I only have a few months of that left.

I think falling in love with my children involves every sense, but especially strong for me is that of smell.  I remember going into Logan's room at night when she was a toddler just to watch her sleep.  I had waited so long for a baby that I was just thirsty for her.  I drank her in with my eyes, those chubby legs, rosy pink cheeks, and all of that curly blonde hair.  Then I'd crawl in bed beside her and bury my face in her neck, just to breathe her in.  People, in general, are not a great-smelling lot all on their own; something about babies, however, is altogether different.

I remember Griffin sometimes smelled like cinnamon.  He really did.  He has been my only baby that would let me snuggle him, and so I did, a lot.  Could I help it if some sniffing was involved?  He smelled a little like cinnamon.  He doesn't now.  Now he smells like a 6 year old boy/puppy.  That new baby smell does not last forever, that's for sure.

That's why baby sniffing is a top priority right now, and on little Lincoln I catch a wisp of cedar every now and again.  I swear, I do.  But that might be the love talking.  I'll sniff him again tomorrow and get back to you.  

6 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Grace still smells good. She's the only one left. Jane and Ethan have started getting bad breath. YUCK! It's a sad transition.

Gracie is home this week sick as well. I'm trying to enjoy the time with her and not think about how my plans have changed. Isn't cuddling with our little babies the most important thing!?

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

That yummy baby smell left our house years ago, and oh how I miss it.
Hope everyone is feeling better, and life is good.....Have a great day!

Sara said...

sometimes my little ones smelled faintly of maple syrup. i liked it.

Becky Christiansen said...

After reading your blog, I now have this urge to go upstairs and snuggle my kiddos. I just want to hold on and not let go. I have been feeling a bit sad lately that they are growing so quickly and I can't STOP IT! Dane is 10. 10. How? When? Why? ugh.

Shana said...

Oh I so know what you are talking about. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell and feel of a small baby's head. My little Bella is going to turn two yrs old in three weeks. She is quickly growing out of that baby phase and right into a tantrum throwing toddler phase.
She still has that sweet smell to her, but I feel it fading all too quick.

Audrey said...

Hey, my sweet little girl, who is such a cuddler herself...well, lately she is into sniffing ME. (Particularly smelling booey-one day I will miss this obsession she has!)