Friday, October 9, 2009

Arise and Walk

The other afternoon I decided Master Wicke and I needed a little time out of doors.  It was an hour before we usually meet the kids off the bus and he was fussy, so I loaded him in his stroller.  Since I had a little something that I needed to drop off to a woman in the neighborhood anyway, and it was such  a lovely day (they have finally arrived here in the southwest) I thought we'd just make a little adventure out of it.

On our little jaunt, it wasn't long before I bumped into a friend who was unloading groceries from her car.  Stopping to chat I heard her husband say, "Laurel!  What are you doing out of the house?  I don't think I've ever seen you exercise before!"

Now, I'm not sure you could call what I was doing exercise.  I was wearing a skirt and flipflops after all, which is what I was explaining to him when he said, "It's just your mode of transportation.  It's so unusual for you."

He likes to tease me, and I probably wouldn't have thought much of it if, on my way home, I hadn't run into another friend's husband in his front yard.

"Laurel!  What are you doing outside?!"

...Oh, brother.  I think I may need to get out more.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

That is funny!!

Shana said...

That is kind of funny...but on the other hand I think these men need to learn to keep there lame observations to themselves.
If my husband said something like that to another woman, I'd pop him in the head!

Laurel said...

It was all in good fun, believe me. Growing up with five brothers taught me something important about boys: If they're making fun of you they think you're alright.