Saturday, September 1, 2007

This Might Explain Something

My character developement has one major influence: Mockery. You see, I was a girl born after 5 older brothers. Heaven did see fit to bless me with one sister, but unfortunately she was 20 years older than me and too long gone to be of much help on a daily basis. Now, I don't know how much you know about young men, but I can tell you, with authority, that the only form of affection they are capable of is constant ribbing. Now that I think about it, that goes for adult men, too. Ultimately my brothers haven't changed a bit. They can find any reason to tease me mercilessly.

A poor girl can't even make a sandwich without being subjected to their mockery.



It's a good-looking sandwich, right? Apparently that was the problem. I took it on the chin for that pretty little nibble, and if they can find fault with my sandwich artistry, imagine the torture I was put through during my dating years. It was ugly folks.

So if, once in a while, you hear a note of sarcasm, jest, or the outright jab slip into my dialogue, you'll understand that I can not help it. Those were mother's milk to me. And please consider my feelings once in a while and throw me a bone. After all, if you're not making fun of me, I can't feel the love. It's just the way I was raised.

7 comments:

Megan B said...

You and me baby...raised on the same milk. I think it's one of things I love about you the most (No! Not that we are alike...the "tease" thing - can always count on you for a laugh).

Madame Queen said...

My husband is one of 6 -- 5 boys and 1 girl and the girl was kind of in the middle. I've heard tons of stories about how they used to torture her all the time. It's amazing to me that she grew up normal at all. *I* thought I had it bad with just one older brother, but she -- and you it sounds like -- definitely had the short end of the stick.

BTW, that WAS a good looking sandwich.

Kate said...

I fear for Amanda's mental well-being! At least she won't be a wimp! She will definitely be able to hold her own. I will just have to take her on a lot of mom & daughter shopping trips to ease the pain!

Tip Junkie said...

Too funny! I had 3 brothers as well but they pretty much left me alone. That sandwich made me so hungry. It looks great!

Amber said...

I so hear you! I have 2 brothers and a dad who LOVED to make fun of me and really anyone, but I was a favorite. I too, was given a sister, 10 years too late, she was not a help at all. The focus remained on me...the benefit, I am pretty solid these days. The test is that I tend to tease, at times those who don't really see it as "all in good fun."

Melissa said...

I am married to Jeff...need I say more?

Lauren said...

"Youre ugly and your mamma dresses you funny" was my brother's favorite taunt to me growing up and for some reason it cut me to the quick! Since we had the same mother, who actually let us dress ourselves this shouldn't have bothered me all that much-but older brothers tend to know what will get you I guess :).