Saturday, September 22, 2007

After Years of Pretending to be on David Letterman...

The Madame Queen offered to play the "interview game," and I signed up. She got to pick the questions, and I tried my best to answer them honestly and entertainingly since she requested that I post the answers on my blog. So here they are, and if you are not interested in hearing any more about little ol' me, read no further.

However, if you're still here and feeling adventurous, leave a comment asking to be interviewed, and I'll pass on the love! I'll get to pick 5 questions for you to answer and post on your blog, but then you have to offer to interview someone else. If you're in, leave me a message, and be sure your email address is available either in your message or on your blog so I can send you the questions. Any takers?

Besides being a mom, what is your greatest accomplishment in life?
Whoa! The word "greatest" is just so intimidating that I had to skip this question, give it some thought and answer it last. After all day, it finally occurred to me and I dug through some old boxes to find it. I taught school for 7 years before we were finally able to adopt our first baby. Now lots of people say teenagers are really tweerpy, but I can't help myself; I just dig 'em, and upon leaving mid-year to stay at home with the baby, many of my students gave me cards and well-wishes that knocked my socks off. Here is some of the things they wrote:
"...I've learned and grown from you so much both in character and in academics...You taught me how to be a better person and how to enjoy life to the fullest, not to mention all of the wonderful writing skills you passed on to me..."

"...You have changed my life in a way no one could ever do...Your passion for English has given me the thrill for learning this subject which in years passed I have never experienced..."

"...Thank you for helping me discover how to write my best work. You inspired me to write what I feel and not just words...You brought so much joy and happiness into the room and we really appreciate it..."

"As my teacher and inspiration to love to learn, I shall remember you forever!"
Besides my kids, that's what makes me most proud. Here's a shout out to all the many great teachers out there! Keep up the good work (even though they don't pay you what you're worth!)


If money were no object and you had all the time in the world, what would you like to learn how to do? Why?
There a number of things I want to learn right now. Like how to bake artisan bread and to speak a foreign language. (Isn't it awful that I don't? Not the bread part. The language. Regret over bread would make me a little nutty!) Those I will probably try at some point, but the one thing that I will probably never do because of money and time would be to go to culinary school. I really like to cook, and I would love to be more technically educated.

What is your favorite comfort food?
Now I know the south really knows their comfort foods, but up in beef country where I was raised, nothing is better for comfort than a good steak and a baked potato. Mmm.Mmm.

If you had to lose one of your five senses, which would it be and why?
Clearly the only way to figure this out is through the process of elimination, as in which one would I miss the least, and I guess it would be the sense of smell. While I would miss some favorite scents like fresh cut grass, cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven, rain, mountain air, and Mr. Wicke's cologne (do I hear a catcall in the background?), there are a lot of nasty smells I could do without pretty easily. I won't name those because my mother tried to teach me that there are just are some things we don't talk about. It didn't always take, but she tried. For her, I will edit myself here.


Do you ever embellish stories on your blog? If yes, why? If no, do you think it’s okay for other writers? Or would you feel cheated if you knew?
Well, Mr. Wicke says that I exaggerate every time I tell a story. But I think it's pretty clear that when I say, "He asked me like 50 million times," it wasn't actually 50 million, it just felt like it. Clear exaggeration, for effect and entertainment--ala Mark Twain, for example--is completely appropriate in my book.

But do I make stuff up? Never. I think the only reason I would do that is to make myself seem more interesting than I think I am, and I think that would make me feel bad about myself ultimately.

As for everyone else...well, I was really put off when the guy who wrote A Million Little Pieces copped to fictionalizing a lot of it. I mean I like a good story, but if it's told as a memoir then it should be based in truth or it's just a lie and pretty pointless to me.

That's all, folks. I don't know if you had a good time, but I sure did. Thanks Madame Queen! And be sure to let Letterman know I'm now giving interviews.

6 comments:

Madame Queen said...

Great answers! You must have been an awesome teacher. I think I would have to make little flash cards of those quotes and keep them handy for days when I'm feeling down.

Thanks for playing!

Lauren said...

mmmmm..Im with you on the steak and potatoes...nothing better than a nice fatty ribeye and a big 'o loaded baked potato. (Im a health nut you see..)

Also those notes from your "kids" are so nice! And well written. You must have been a good teacher :)

Rochelleht said...

I was going to email you, but I don't see the address anywhere. Here is a link to our playhouse blog entry.

http://web.mac.com/rochelleht1/iWeb/Rochelle%20Tallmadge/Blog/E620597C-818A-4254-B849-461347C3DA30.html#comment_45518441_0114_1000_8001_B4B5A79C3678

Hopefully that will work. Otherwise, you can just search for it on my blog under 'cottage'.

Esme said...

Thank you for sharing! Those notes from your former students put a lump in my throat. How wonderful that they were able to share those feelings with you, and for you to have inspired them so much...

Amber said...

So no one wants to be accountable for what questions you may ask??/ Bring it on! What do you want to ask me? Will we get letters like you did from your students ONE day from our kids, that ones that we actually are responsible for????

Betsy said...

Oooh, ooh! Pick me! ekbetsy@gmail.com