Tuesday, May 31, 2011

True (Red White &) Blue

Mr. Wicke and I are both big 4th of July Fans.  Big.  We love the holiday, and it isn't because we love the BBQ's and the fireworks (although they are nice); it's because we really love the USA.  We think it is the grandest experiment in human government to ever live on the face of the earth.  We believe it deserves celebration.

I'm totally with John Adams who said: "The second day of July 1776 (the actual day congress took the vote for independence) will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America.  I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival.  It ought to be commemorated as the Day of Deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.  It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other from this time forward forever more."

It really should be a big deal.  And around here we're already getting prepared.  Last year we began a new tradition of watching this
before July 4th. (You can get a copy at Amazon.)  Even my children, six and eight at the time, were fascinated through all 4 disks.  (In fact, we liked it so much that we gave it to some other families at Christmas.)  When I suggested we break it out again this year, they were totally excited and Logan, especially, doesn't want to quit watching.  Yesterday she initiated a long discussion about Benedict Arnold and his moral dilemma.  How much did I love that?

This year we're taking it up a notch.  We are all doing a little research on an important person to the revolution and we'll each do a presentation on July 4th.  Kind of nerdy, I know, but that's the way we roll around here.  Logan's working on Benedict Arnold; Griffin took John Paul Jones; Mr. Wicke is on Edmond Burke; and I'm leaning toward Abigail Adams.  Don't worry.  We have some friends joining us so we'll get to Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin, too.

The thing is, my heart resonates with Abagail Adams who said, "Posterity who are to reap the blessings will scarcely be able to conceive of the hardships and sufferings of their ancestors."  There is no doubt she is right.  No matter how much I know, I cannot feel the heart's cost of all they gave.  However, in our house I am determined that we will at least recognize their great sacrifices, their service, and their heroism and live with a deeper sense of gratitude for all they did.

So bring on the red, white and blue, I say!

3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

How awesome are YOU!? Wow. Impressed.

Kimber said...

I'm a silent lover of your blog but I can't help but pass this tidbit on. I love the idea of watching The Revolution leading up to the 4th and my kids (age ranges from 3 to 19) loved the History channel when we had it so I really wanted to try it. Unfortunately, our library doesn't have a copy; unemployment restricts buying a copy BUT Netflix is streaming it on instant play!! Just a note for those who might not be able to purchase.

Laurel said...

Kimber--Hi! And thanks for the info. That is a fabulous idea. Hope you like the series as much we do.