Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Teaching Kids is Often Exhausting, but Never Boring

I love communal worship.  To gather together in His name is an inspired principle for many reasons; one that I've already written about in fact.  But, like on Sunday, it can also be hysterical.  As I was teaching the primary children a song about our prophet Joseph Smith for this year's program, I wanted to make one thing very clear. 

"Do we worship Joseph Smith?" I asked.  It is a common misconception about our religion.

"No!" they chorused.

"That's right."  I continued.  "We absolutely do not worship Joseph Smith.  We simply believe he was a prophet on earth, just like Moses, or Noah, or Abraham.  People who say that, do not really know what we believe.  Who do we worship?"

A little five year old raised her hand pleadingly.  Looking into her big, excited eyes made me smile.  "Yes?" I asked.  Jesus is the first answer to every question in primary.  It doesn't matter what you ask, the kids will always answer Jesus.  Who was Jesus' mother?  Jesus.  Who came and talked to us last week?  Jesus.  So I was totally unprepared for...

"Satan!"

...Her parents were so very proud, as you can imagine.

5 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Wow. Didn't see that one comin'. Pretty sure you need to get that one published in the Ensign or somethin'...

Stacey said...

Ahhhh....innocence is priceless. Thanks for the laugh!

tawnya said...

Oh. Man. WORST nightmare...

Team Member said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Kriloff Klan said...

I always wondered when I would finally "make" THE blog......I just didn't think it would be like this!!! Proud Parent Moment!!!