Monday, May 16, 2011

Acts of Chivalry



On Wednesday I went to "Moms and Muffins" in my son's first grade class.  It was adorable.  He welcomed me with all the chivalry his 7 year old spirit could muster. 

"Thank you for coming," he said as he led me to his desk and pulled out my chair.  He lovingly placed the paper lei that he had made himself around my neck. Then he showed me his many gifts. The laminated poem with a handwritten note on the back:  I love you, Mom.  Love Griffin, it said.  The hand written and illustrated book he had made described all the things that make me special.  (Did you know that I can do a backflip off the diving board and the thing I do best is diving and swimming with dolphins.  I didn't either.  Not until I read his book.  I am much more amazing than I thought.)  Then he asked me what I would like to drink, "Lemonade or water?" and he asked me what I would like to eat, "Blueberry or chocolate muffin?" and then he waited on me, and when, because he had to wait until his group's number was called and didn't have anything to eat or drink yet, I asked him if he wanted some of mine, he hesitated only a moment before refusing.  "No.  That's for you," he gallantly replied.  Like I said, it was an amazingly chivalrous day, and I loved every minute of it.

I even wore my paper lei all that day.  But, you can't keep everything, which is what I said to myself when I threw the paper lei in the garbage yesterday as I cleaned up the kitchen.  I had lovingly stored away the book and the laminated poem, but the paper lei was just too unwieldy.  Besides, he would never even know...

...until he returned home from school and found it laying in the garbage can.  "Mom?  What was this doing in the garbage?" he accused as he walked into the living room, the paper lei swinging from his index finger.

And then I did what every good mother would do.  I lied.  "What?  That was in the garbage can?  How did that get there?  Maybe the baby put it in there.  Boy!  I sure am glad you found it!"

And he was amazingly chivalrous as he laid it gently in my hands.  "Me, too," he said.  "Me, too."  As for the fact that I blamed a two year old?  Well, I've been thinking about that, and I've decided he can take it.  It's chivalry in training.

6 comments:

Laurel said...

what a sweet day with your son. BTW i would have lied too!

Rochelleht said...

I love you! I love that you were quick enough to think of such a good lie. I am too stupid. I would have been the dear in the headlights.

That made me laugh out loud. SO glad you are back!

Has his school year gone better? I hope it is ending on a high note.

tawnya said...

Good mom! Good son! I would have totally lied too. Too bad we won't have a two year old when it happens...can I use yours?

Shana said...

That is AWESOME! I have to sneak things into the garbage too. I mean, I can't keep EVERY paper she brings home right?

I love the picture of you and Grif. You look more beautiful than ever Laurel. I love you and I've missed your words and stories in your blog. They make me feel closer and in touch when we are SO far away.
As soon as my baby isn't a baby anymore or nursing, I think me and my sisters might be inviting ourselves to come to your place for a warm visit by the pool. I mean, if that is okay with you? :)

Laurel said...

a.) how many laurel's are there? me. you. your first commentor? Can we please start a club?
b.) how cute is your son? oh, i loved this story.
c.) I've missed you. please keep blogging. I like to pretend to be living your life. I know it's not perfect...and frankly, that's one of the things I love about it.
d.) I hate that I didn't get to see you last month. November for sure. Promise?

Anonymous said...

I am glad that I am not the only one that's been caught doing 'that'. I laughed when I read it, I've totally been caught (more than once:)with something in the garbage.
What a fun day for you. I love those go to school and spend time together days. They need more of them!