Monday, December 20, 2010

Temporary Solution

Does anyone else have trouble with sibling bickering?  Please tell me it's not just me.  Please!  Here at The Tea Party Place we have two children who love nothing more right now than a good game of "Uh huh, nuh uh, yes sir, no sir."  It's not so much fun for me.

I've tried various tactics to get it to stop; they haven't worked to a great degree.

But today...I may have landed on a solution.  Well, at least for a week.

Having been out of school for officially 1 hour and 47 minutes this morning, they were already testing my patience.  "Alright!  New rule.  Ready?  Here it is:  If I hear any bickering--any at all--you get one warning.  If it continues, you will each have to go downstairs and pick one present from under the tree to give back to me?  Got it?"

"No!  Please, Mom.  Don't make that rule!"  And that was my first clue I was onto something good.

"Why are you already crying?  You haven't lost a present yet," I queried.

"Please, Mom..."

"Wait a second.  Who's in charge of whether or not you'll lose presents?  Not me!  You decide whether or not you'll fight and bicker.  So just don't do it and everything will be fine."

They walked away only slightly encouraged.

A few moments later I heard the beginnings of "Uh huh, nuh uh, yes sir, no sir" bubbling from the next room.  "That's a warning!" I cautioned.  And then?...

Quiet.
Blessed, peaceful, quiet.
Even as I write this, quiet.
I've never liked quiet so very much.

How long do you think it will last?

9 comments:

Leandra said...

You? Are a genius!

We haven't had too much so far, but I have a feeling it's on the way. Our problem is not so much bickering these days as it is that Bubba doesn't want to have anything to do with Punkin and since she thinks he hung the moon, that lends itself to some hurt feelings.

Bernadette said...

After this great idea doesn't work any more...

...try what my sister does (she has 3 girls that bicker)...they have to hold hands and look at each other while singing "I want to be kind to everyone" - it's in the primary song book if you need all the words.

It works like a charm. :)

tawnya said...

Have I ever mentioned that there are DEFINITELY upsides to not having more than one? :)

Deanna said...

AHhh. I may have to copy your idea!!! I was fortunate this year that my two older boys have school until 2:00 tomorrow.I need to get a special gift for whoever thought it was a good idea for them to attend this week!!!!! not only do mine bicker...but because they are boys they have to throw in constantly poking at each other and wrestling. Mayley hasn't gotten into the mix yet... but I can already tell she is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

That is awesome. I'm going to share your tactic with other parents to see if it works!

China Girl said...

We must be on the same wavelength, I don't know why I hadn't thought of this in years past, but it works like a charm. But I tell them that I get to choose which present goes, and I'm going to choose the best one, since I'm the one that wrapped them and know which one is the best.

Laurel said...

okay you are brilliant and if I had kids, I would totally do it. I really would.

I think I might go adopt a few so I can try it out ;)

Shana said...

GENIUS! And yes, we have that same problem here in the Wallace home this week. My 2 older girls have been bickering non-stop! (SIGH!)

tawnya said...

Hey - I've been thinking about you lately. Hope all is well and you are just happy busy!

On another note...we MAY be in Mesa in April (wedding). I'll keep you posted...