Thursday, December 9, 2010

She is a Reader

Would you mind too awfully much if I bragged just a little.  Not about me.  No.  But about my daughter?  Because I'm super proud today.

This morning as I was making her bed (and yes, I still make her bed because it's a twin pushed up against the wall and it is really hard to make with her shorter arms) ANYWAY, as I was making her bed, I glanced at the bedside table and it hit me.  You know what was stacked there?  Books.  Generally books that we read together.  Generally books that I guide her toward, but not anymore.  She has built a stack of books on her own that will take us some time to get through.  And not just any books.  Here are the titles:  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Hamlet, Anne of Green Gables, and Gulliver's Travels.  I had to sit down.

And as I did so, I thought of her backpack this morning, loaded with three more books:  The Moffats, Marley--A Dog Like No Other, and Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief.  She is in the middle of all three of them, despite my protestations that she finish The Moffats before starting the Lightening Thief (which she persuaded me to buy two nights ago.)  "But Mom," she argued.  "That's our newest book club book!"  Yes, she and her best friend have a book club.

She is a reader, I silently gushed as I picked up Gulliver's Travels and fondled the worn hardback cover.  How she came to choose that book I do not know.  I didn't put it in her hands.  I have never read Gulliver's Travels, but I have a fondness for good books and old bookstores, and sometimes I buy them because I'm like a greedy child who grabs more cookies than she can eat just because someone else will get them if she doesn't.  A classic book must have a home.  I have meant to read Gulliver's Travels, and it has been sitting on my shelf for some time, waiting.

There it was that Logan found it on her own one day and added it to her stack of books she wants to read.  A stack of more books than she has time for.

That is a good problem to have.

4 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

My kids our readers too...and it make me so very proud, because I wasn't a reader until an adult. I think I missed out on a lot of good childhood books because of it. Just wait...pretty soon Logan will have Twilight on her night stand;)

tawnya said...

Awesome. I think the most crushing thing to both of us is if Sammy wasn't a reader. (the horror!) :)

Ella said...

What a wonderful realization - you've raised a reader and that love of books will be with her forever. And perhaps you haven't realized it, but she loves probably what you love. I've noticed my daughter likes mysteries - hmm - I like mysteries. That just baffles me because I don't talk about the books I read. I don't read that type of book to my kids, yet she seems to gravitate to the exact genre I like. Sometimes I wish she weren't so observant nor so willing to follow my path in this and other areas of her life :).

Stacey said...

I am a reader and only passed that to one of my kiddos. We now trade books. It is a great bonding time as we read some nights, silently side by side...sigh..they grow sooo fast!