Thursday, December 16, 2010

Caroling, Caroling, Now We Go

This is not how it went.

One of my new favorite holiday memories was created on Saturday night.  The choir I recently rejoined was having their annual Christmas party, and as per tradition a little caroling was involved.  Singers singing?  Weird, right?

Now this wasn't your average group of carolers.  These are some serious musicians, and I don't mean to brag, but I will say that if my doorbell rang, this would be a group I would wish was there to provide a little mini concert on my front porch.

Some people don't agree with me.

Like the teenager who made the mistake of answering the door.  Apparently, and much to his chagrin, no one else was home.  When we launched into "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," I could actually feel his discomfort.  He couldn't even meet our eyes.  I felt a little sorry for him through the first verse.  (Yes, we sang two.  As any singer will tell you the whole story is never in the first verse, discomfort be damned!)  But then as we headed into the second verse, and his whole body sighed, I began to notice his rolling eyes often lighting on what looked to be the reflection of a video game in the background.  Suddenly, his impatient toe tapping began to make sense.  What is caroling in the name of Jesus when compared to God of War III?  I mean, really?  I nearly couldn't finish the song for my fit of giggles.

Then, just a few houses later, we saw the homeowners in the garage, so we varied our routine of doorbell ringing and began singing upon arrival.  We only made it through "Joy to the world, the Lord is Come.  Let Earth re--" before the grinding closure of the door put a sudden stop to our musical offering.  Can you imagine the oddity of that situation?  20 singing people standing in your driveway and a slowly lowering metal door between?  I only wish I had had the nerve to rush forward and sing all the way to the ground.  Instead I threw my head back and belly laughed.  Someone else said, "I think it's time to go home."  Imagining the homeowners hearing it all, I could only continue to chortle.

Caroling may have become a lost tradition, I'm afraid.  But it's still the most fun I've had in a long time...though, perhaps for all the wrong reasons.

6 comments:

Leandra said...

How rude! But funny. I wish you HAD sung to them all the way until the door closed. But can you imagine not being able to put off what you're doing long enough for people to sing one song? Sheesh! Glad it didn't ruin your Christmas spirit, though!

Ella said...

Oh this is hilarious! I can tell you why you received such a poor reception - the homeowners expected you to ask for a donation after your completed your song as such is our society these days :).

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

I love to Carol and you are right, it is a lost tradition because I think that people are afraid of people which is twisted. How can you be afraid of someone if you've never met them.

Thanks for being so kind.

The Kriloff Klan said...

I still think a joyous chorus of Joy to the World while laying down on the concrete, getting that last peek at the family, would have been the best!!! Here's to next year!

Britany said...

I love it! A couple of years ago we spent Christmas in Yuma visiting my snowbird grandparents. We caroled around their trailer park and the people loved it.

Sunland Village next year?! :)

Rochelleht said...

I am telling you! Last year for Young Women's we went out and we even had gifts and people were SOOOOO rude. I mean your experience times 10! I am continuously stunned at the depths to which we have plunged in this society. Sad, very sad.