Monday, December 6, 2010

Sounds of the Season

I say it every year:  "Christmas is eating my lunch!"  Every. stinkin'. year.  And here we are again.  You won't believe it (but you really might) but my tree is now up but not decorated.  We haven't started adventing yet.  Remember those Christmas cards?  Not out yet.  Nope.  The shopping is somewhere in the middle of completion. 

Here's what I've been doing instead.


See that person in the middle with her arms up?  That's me leading our primary children in song.  They sang three numbers for our church's Christmas party, and they were fantastic!



And I got to sing with these guys for their holiday concert because I rejoined this choir which means I get to sing really great music with really great people, and despite not having my tree decorated and my shopping not done and my cards still sitting on my counter, I have really felt the Christmas spirit.  There is nothing like singing "Hallelujah!  Hallelujah!  For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth.  Hallelujah!  And He shall reign forever and ever!  King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  Forever, and ever, and ever.  Hallelujah!" to joy in the Season of His birth, and watching children sing with their sweet innocence, "On this night a King is born in a cattle shed," to really feel what it means.

And last night, while we were singing Silent Night with the lush sound of a full symphony orchestra accompanying us, I looked out into the audience to see a man quietly weeping, tears just running down his face.  Immediately, I was reminded what it meant, personally, that our Savior did come on a silent night, most holy night.  And then my heart rose up in a simple prayer, "Thank you, Jesus.  Thank you."

And now...for your listening pleasure....

5 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

This is the season for beautiful music...and as I remember your voice is so beautiful as well. I would love to hear you sing again. As far as the other todo items...it will get done, it always does. Put the kids to work on that tree tonight;)

Britany said...

The children sounded beautiful thanks to you!

So glad you captured Mary and Joseph in your picture since I forgot to have someone take a pic for us ;).

Ella said...

Hey, you actually made a list of things you were grateful for and now you've praised the Lord - You're WAY ahead in my book!

tawnya said...

I seem to surround myself with friends who sing. Clearly, it's my plan to drown out my horribleness in the singing category!

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

Fabulous. I would have gone to see ya perform but I didn't know when.