Monday, March 15, 2010

Weekend Highlights

On Friday Mr. Wicke surprised me with tickets to "The Light in the Piazza" at the Phoenix theater, a musical I've been wanting to see for five years. We are lucky enough to have 4 of Mr. Wicke's brothers living near us, and luckier even still that one of them and his cute wife agreed to spend their Friday night watching our kiddos. I did warn my kiddos that if they ever wanted cousins by said aunt and uncle they should be on their best behavior. By all reports they were angels.


Mr. Wicke and I headed into downtown Phoenix where we dined on delicious Thai food, one of our favorite cuisines, at The Wild Thaiger. Mr. Wicke ordered the Tamarind Shrimp and I munched on the Pad Thai. Predictable I know, but the waitress suggested it, and I always believe the wait staff. Always. She was right. It was the best Pad Thai I have had in recent years. And speaking of the wait staff, the service was super prompt and friendly. Having only about 30 minutes to make it to the theater in time, they assured us that they could make it happen. They did, splendidly. When we go back, and we will go back, I plan to dine on the outdoor patio, ordering the Dragon Eggz and the Holy Basil Chicken, and, if I have room, dessert. It will be an event!

Then it was off to The Phoenix Theater, which, amazingly, has been in existence for 89 years! Arizona had only been a state for 7 or so years when they first opened, and they have been running ever since, a wondrous feat to anyone familiar with the theater business. It is a small equity theater, so there isn't a bad seat in the house, and the production quality was absolutely excellent. If you live in the area, I would highly suggest taking in one of their shows.

On Saturday, we spent the day visiting with an old college friend and his two children.  This friend and I have known each other long enough to speak a sort of short hand language, and we did a lot of that as our children climbed, chased, dug, and tagged.  So much fun!

Later that night, after the children were in bed, Mr. Wicke and I curled up on the couch and watched Rain Man, a classic in our book, and despite Charlie Babbit being an undisputed ass throughout the first half of the movie, I have to admit that when he pulls the car to a screaching halt and throws a roadside tantrum full of kicking, screaming, and cursing out of frustration, I understood him a little bit.  "What difference--what, what what difference does it make where you buy underwear?  What difference does it make?! Underwear is underwear no matter where you buy it!  Cincinnati or wherever!"  I've felt like that.

But not this weekend, because this weekend was good.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Weekends like that are so good for the marriage!! Glad you enjoyed!

tawnya said...

How was the show? Lovely? I've also been wanting to see it.

And I've never (some how!) seen Rain Man...huh.

Deanna said...

What a great weekend!!!! I think I need one of those.

Rochelleht said...

Umm,, hello!? That's my life. What difference does it make what is on the butt of you underpants? But it makes all the difference in the world.

Jennifer said...

You weren't, per chance, meeting up with Mr. Yordy and family, were you? Oh, what I wouldn't give for one of our little gatherings!

Aubrey said...

I've been realy behind in my google reader-ing and commenting, but your video of Lincoln crying at the harmonica was so cute (and funny). Poor baby. ;)

And I have to figure out how to get my baby totally hooked on dad at church because he's heavy. Except then I'd have to deal with the other three and they can talk back.

Your big kids are so sweet--I loved Logan's note. I'll have to remember that. My oldest lost her first two teeth--literally in the neighbor's yard. The excitment never ends.

Tamara said...

Nothing better than date night, especially a really good one. I love reading your blog and watching your children grow. I was suprised to see that Lincoln has a red tint to his hair. I love that too!

Audrey said...

Thai food, yummy! Still our favorite. Hey, remember that time, long, long ago, before we had kids...when we had Thai food together and that really spicy dish yielded an impromptu "Makes me sweat!"

Ha! We still use that one.