Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring: Officially Broken In

When I look back on Spring Break this year, I smile.  Mostly in that hindsight-is-20-20 sort of way, but I still smile.  I think we, the four crazy moms that agreed to take 16 children (including 2 babies) to a cabin in the snow for 3 days, saw things going a little differently in our minds.  Maybe a little less chaotic.  Maybe a little less work.  Maybe a little more down time. 

I packed a book.  I didn't read a page.  Like I said, I saw things going a little differently.

What I did do?  I did hold a baby the entire time because my independent, fun-loving child became possessed for three days.  He was so out of sorts that I didn't recognize him, even when we were bouncing for 45 minutes at 2:00 in the morning.  I did try to help push a suburban out of the snow.  I didn't succeed but I tried, and I did get a chest full of spun out snow/dirt/mud down my shirt.  That was awesome.  I did change a thousand kids in and out of snowsuits, coats, gloves, and boots at least a million times.  And then I spent countless hours looking for said snow equipment.  16 sets of gloves is a lot to keep track of.  I did carry a baby a half mile through slush and snow to go sledding.  (I'm actually not sure you can call the last 200 yards carrying, though, as I just wrapped my arms under his and let him dangle.)  After that I did lie in the snow and consider the possibility of dying from a heart attack at the age of 39.

But it is the trip home--oh, the trip home!--that really tells the tale.

(to be continued...)



4 comments:

Erin said...

At least your snow gear was only for 3 days and not all. winter. long! I had to get James Velcro shoes for the winter so we didn't have to worry about tying with the whole on/off snow boots thing. I love Spring!

tawnya said...

Ok that I laugh that you went to the SNOW for spring break? I've been trying to dodge it for months...

desert mom said...

The kids look like they had a gooood time. They'll remember this Spring break for ever...and so will you!

Ella said...

Okay, I have to say you are CRAZY - pure CRAZY! We Minnesotans live for Spring Break so we can go to some place WARM and you are going to the snow????? Crazy, crazy, crazy!