Thursday, August 6, 2009

Some things I learned on vacation:

3040 miles is a long drive with two kids and a baby.

Traveling with Mr. Wicke is much better than traveling alone.

Our kids--while normal in all kid ways--are actually very nice. I really like them.

It is not wise to leave the longest driving day (11 hours) for the last day of a two week vacation.

Griffin will always spill his red Hi C in the back seat.

Logan will always leave one of her beloved treasures at every stop.

Our hotel in Hurricane, UT deserves a gold star for finding and mailing back her "hank" (blankie.)

The driver's seat is the best seat in the van. No one asks you to change the movie, get the snacks, clean their spills, or shush the baby while you are there.

A new book of house plans can keep me entertained for hours.

There is never enough time to see all the family and friends we want.

Cousins are automatic playmates and best friends.

God blessed us with a world of natural wonders; it's an amazing playground.

Family vacations are worth every penny.

In an ideal world, the parents could plan a parent vacation to recover from the family vacation.

Alas, ours is not an ideal world. School starts Monday. I'll take a nap then.

9 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I'm so glad you all had a great time. I agree on the driver's seat being the best seat;) , and cousins are best friends forever!!!! We start school on the 26th...summer went by very fast.

Amanda said...

I know what you mean about the book of house plans. I'm the same way.

The natural wonders that God has created for us -- I call them Easter Eggs. Special, wonderful things God has hidden for us all over the world for us to discover. He knows us better than anyone and how we, as people, love to explore & discover new things. Things to keep us interested, excited and longing for more.

Things to remind us of Him. :)

Stacey said...

Laurel it sounds as though you had an adventure!! YAY for family vacation, tough! I bet your kids had a ball with all their cousins and I agree with the Adult vacation after the family vacation!! Summer went by too fast...enjoy the last few days!

Jennifer said...

Glad you had a good vacation. Didn't realize school starts Monday for you! Tara, Becky and I spent the day chatting and catching up and we couldn't help thinking that having you here with us would make things complete (lots of re-hashing old times). Tomorrow is the big gathering with 40 of us coming together. Can't wait. We miss you tons!

Happy Warrior in Training said...

Thank you Mrs. Wicke for making our vacation very fun and memorable! It is a nice thing that, even when we travel 1,500 miles away and 1,500 miles back, home is always as close as you are. Home is a nice feeling for me and the children... thank you for making home where ever we are.

Deanna said...

I'm with you the drivers seat is the best. Wade never understands why I'm And while the kids are showing signs of being ready for school to start...I still can't help but feel a little cheated.

Deanna said...

Okay so half my comment got deleted somehow and it made no sense.
what I was trying to say was that Wade never understands why I'm stressed and tired of hearing the word 'mom' by the time we reach our destination. and that those vacations are the ones the kids remember the most and will talk about for years to come.
I agree with you the summer went by way to fast and even though the kids are showing signs of being ready to go back to school I kind of felt cheated this summer.

Madame Queen said...

Three thousand miles?!? Wow. But what a great trip.

And you SO deserve a nap on Monday. Glad you made it home safely.

Rochelleht said...

SO SO SO fun to see you! So glad you came up north for your vacay and that you found time for little old me. I agree, next time: NO KIDS!! Seriously, bathroom trips really get me down.