Sunday, August 9, 2009

Misty Me


I got misty-eyed tonight. It's true. Even though over the last two days it has become abundantly clear that we could all use a little time away from each other, and even though our poor attitudes have inspired in my heart of hearts a countdown until school starts--despite all of this--I got misty-eyed tonight.

Tomorrow school begins, and tonight we packed the backpacks and laid out the first day school outfits, complete with their carefully selected new shoes. When all the business was done, Mr. Wicke gave Logan and Griffin father's blessings, asking our good Father to watch out for our little ones, to protect them, inspire them, and to bless them with goodness. And although I had a new little baby squawking in my arms, protesting his oncoming sleepiness, I suddenly couldn't believe my other baby boy was already following his sister's footsteps and leaving my little nest.

After his blessing ended, I called Griffin over, and with the beginning of tears in my eyes I said, "What am I going to do without you all day?" I hadn't expected to feel this sadness, having gone through this with Logan already, but there it was. That feeling of wanting to hang on just a little bit more; that feeling of already missing what I probably hadn't fully appreciated regardless of my best efforts. That stuff gets me misty, what can I say?

Griff put his arms around my neck, and I buried my face in his, swallowing hard at that lump in my throat. He held me longer than I expected, and when he finally let go, I noticed him wiping his own eyes as he quickly turned away.

Boy, can he get to me. I'm going to miss that little man.

12 comments:

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Audrey said...

Oh, Laurel...what a sweet little dude! They grow up too darn fast!!! Every time I tell Phoebe she isn't quite big enough to do something in particular, she sighs and says to me, "But, I'm free years old!" In her mind, she is more like 12. Ah, mommyhood...has the power to drive you to the edge or break your heart into a million pieces.

Stacey said...

What a sweet post, Laurel! You have done well with your children. The 1st day of school is a tough one, I have 2 firsts that I know will bring tears to my eyes....the 1st day of High school for Brooklyn and 1st day of Jr High for Brenn....time goes soooo quickly. Thanks for your post, it was very touching.

Candace said...

Ah, you got me misty eyed too! Good luck to your sweet family. Those children of your truly are special!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling! Sometimes you are ready for school to start but no matter what turning them over to someone else for the day just about kills me every year. It never gets easier!! It makes me misty just thinking about it:)

Rochelleht said...

Beautiful post. I hate letting my kiddos go. Grace will be in all day this year and though I have it all planned out, like I told you, it is going to kill me to lose my baby ALL day. UGH!

Kathy said...

I still get teary whenever I think of my children starting school way back when with new friends and new teachers, and my children are nearly 26 and 24-years-old. Gosh, probably should have had more babies huh?
Hugs...

Madame Queen said...

Awwww! Now *I'm* all misty. Just because we need some time away doesn't mean we won't miss them when they're gone.

Sara said...

every year it is the same for me...this year i thought i would make it alright. BUT THEN...we walked in to the quiet house and Brian asked me what I would do today...then the tears spilled.

Aubrey said...

I wasn't apprehensive about kindergarten for my Lexie, but I'm beginning to wonder about having her gone the ENTIRE day. I think I might miss her--her littleness especially.

And I really love Lincoln's what-the-heck-are-you-doing-to-me-now face in that picture. Priceless.

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh, man. This is a killer. Sirri goes to first grade this year and I'm thrilled and devastated all at the same time. And Connor could have gone to school this year but he has such a late birthday that I decided to wait a year. (That and the fact that I just want him to stay little until I'm ready. Which may be never.)

Griffin has such a gentle heart. And Lincoln is darling.

Kyle said...

Your kids are so cute! Super cute family pics! Remind me to tell you about my encounter with Griffin on the 1st day of school!