Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Recessionista

There are a lot of things this recession has taught us. Like the people we love are more important than any thing we have or want; we can get by on less, even if we don't like it; and I can pretty much do the things I need all by myself, or with the help of a really great friend.

You saw the recent haircut. My friend did that. No, she doesn't do hair for a living. In fact, she's never been formally trained. She just practiced on her husband, then her kids, then me. The best things about the "Salon de la Shy" is that 1) it is free, and 2) she takes appointments at 10:00 at night. And I probably should add that many times she has had to fix a haircut that I had done professionally. (Argh.) Yes, having a talented friend in a recession is really handy.

And since I'm an even-steven kind of gal, I helped her matte and frame her son's baseball pictures. That matte cutter we invested in years ago has already paid for itself, thank you very much.

Deep down I believe that we are all capable of learning what we need to know. For example, I'm not above haranguing my poor brother-in-law into helping me highlight my hair old school. He spent at least a good hour pulling my hair through a cap (far more fool proof than foiling. Hey, I'm desperate, not stupid!) You may be wondering how that worked out for me? Well, it's the hair I'm walking around with right now, and I bet no one is the wiser...at least until now anyway.

The fact is, I guess I really don't need someone to help me clean my house, although it would be nice. And I don't need my acrylic nails, although I have had a number of hangnails since removing them; and I don't need someone to give me a pedicure, although I sure miss those foot massages. I don't need a lot of things. And what I need I can figure out a way to do cheaper.

Like last night. My friend (the haircutter) was determined to get a family photo done. Neither of us has had a professional shoot any pictures in about 5 years, but neither of us felt inclined to cough up the money necessary to do it. With her pushing and prodding, we took matters into our own hands:









Not bad for an evening in the local park, eh?

On the other hand, there are some things we have determined that we can not do for ourselves. Priority number one? Pest control. Especially after having one of these in Griffin's pull up a couple of nights ago:



Gratefully, he saw it before he put it on. Yikes! The pest control guy got a call this week. Peace of mind is worth every penny, and some things need to be left in the hands of professionals, after all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a pedicure to do.

11 comments:

Lauren said...

LOVE the pictures. What a darling family. We need to have a Cafe Rio run sometime soon! :) Let me know when is good for you. And the scorpion? Oh my. So glad that you saw it before Griffin put that on. Yikes!

Shana said...

Those pictures turned out way good! I've spent too much money before at a "professional studio" for pictures and ended up hating them. So good for you! :)
Cutting back - at first it sounds no fun, but when you think about all the little things that we can do to help and then we don't even miss them. They all really add up!
I just paid for a haircut that I haven't liked one morning yet. Nothing burns me more than wasted money! (I am so my father's daughter)
We miss you in Cowley! XOXO

Laurel said...

So true! Plus your haircut, color and family pictures look great. One thing that I've been doing to save is making our favorite restaurant meals at home. It's been fun...if only I could figure out how to make Indian food..then we'd be set.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I love the pictures!!!! Your family is so cute. I do agree, pest control is a must!!

Tamara said...

It was so fun to see your family in the big, beautiful state of Wyoming...(did I sell it?). I am still working on forgiving you for going to Five Springs without me but with my groceries. I hate missing out on fun! I guess I can blame the rain and not you. I think your family pictures are wonderful! You are good at everything you do, recession or not.

Jennifer said...

I would never guess those aren't professional photos! Great job. And the hair? You look absolutely fabulous - right back to your pre-pregnant self my beautiful, beautiful friend.

Miss you.

Stacey said...

You have a beautiful family, Laurel,those photos are fabulous! Pest control is a priority, I must agree!! You look wonderful, you are blessed!

Audrey said...

AAAH! The scorpion in the diaper is a bit scarey, eh? Well, these are our favorite types of photo shoots...I actually did one for a friend recently that had me patting myself on the back. And I can testify that Shilo is quite the haircutter! Wish I was trading with her too...though I have been saving money as well. Don't tell Nancy, but I am getting my hair cut at Supercuts-found a great gal there. And I am coloring it myself-saving a ton of money!!! Pedicures are also done at home, and totally imperfect. Feels good to be moneywise.

Ashlee said...

I am so proud of both you and Shiloh. Your hair looks fabulous and you look the same as you did when I first met you - 3 kids later! I hope I age as beautiful as you! :)

Ashlee said...

PS...if you want to come enjoy the beach you can stay at the Miller Bed and Breakfast free! :) We would love to have you!

Singing Semele said...

I think I'm finally brave enough to post a comment just to say they are such beautiful family photos.

I stumbled onto your blog after looking for some advice on "Mr. Right", I knew right away that it was a 'keeper' and so I bookmarked it and I've been following along for quite a few months now.

You are an incredibly inspiring person. You write such wonderful and often evocative and thoughtful posts and I've really enjoyed the privilege of reading them. Thank you very much. I hope that one day I can be half the inspirational mother that you are!

My best wishes to you and your family.

Semele - Australia.