Monday, August 31, 2009

Phoning Home

"Do you think the reference to my woo-hoo was a little over the top the other day?" I couldn't help but notice that one of my friendly readers dropped me like a hot potato the same day I referenced my...well, you know what. Coincidence? Probably not is my guess. I don't want to notice those things. I really don't. Because then I get a little weird. A bit obsessed perhaps. I start thinking in big swirls and loops, and my head gets dizzy.

"What?!" my mother responded laughingly.

Maybe I should have said hello first. "The other day in a blog post I mentioned my woo-hoo? Do you think that was inappropriate in the context?"

More laughter. "I didn't even think about it."

Phwew. Good. In my world there are only four opinions about me that matter. God's. Mine. My parents'. And now that I'm married--Mr. Wicke's. That last one is a little tricky, though, because we are very different creatures.

I had first asked Mr. Wicke his opinion. "Well, I wouldn't have done it." But that's the problem. Of course he wouldn't have. He's a solid 7 kind of guy, whereas I live my life in a random patterns of 5's and 10's. He's even keel, and I'm the slight ripples Heaven sent to liven up his trip a little.

"So...you're saying you think I was wrong?"

"No. I'm just saying that it's not something I would have done."

"What. You think I told people something they didn't already know? Like they thought the baby slipped out of my belly button or something?"

He smiled, "You're so funny."

"So, is there some judgement there?"

"No."

"Oh, I think there is."

"No, there isn't."

"You are no help at all! I'm going to ask my mother."

My mother is my moral thermometer in a lot of ways: A 77 year old woman who can not bear the words fart or butt (so sorry, Mom) and taught me everything I know about being decent has a lot of moral pull in my book. "You can't worry," she continued, "about what anyone else thinks. People who do that never write anything, or never write anything good."

And that's what I'm really trying to do. I want to write like no one is reading. Which is when I started thinking, what I am I writing this blog for anyway? If I really want to write like no one is reading, why not do it in a journal? What the heck is my purpose here? This isn't some exercise in narcissism every day, is it? Or IS it? Ugh. I'd hate to think that...Big swirls and loops in my brain. BIG. I'm still dizzy days later.

And then she said, and I love her for it, "Besides," you're really only writing for me, anyway." She doesn't have a problem with my occasional colorful descriptions. Instead, I make her laugh. And she, in turn, calms my dizzy brain. Maybe someday we'll be even, but I doubt it.

13 comments:

Susan said...

Don't change anything about your writing. I love your blog, it makes me remember growing up around your family and all the good times with Cyndi and your mom.

Audrey said...

HA! See, it's not just the hair we have in common. You make me laugh...I second guessed a reference to my breast I made a while back. But you know what? We are women. We have breasts and we have woo-hoos (or whatever one may call them). AND well, Xee and Thomas have a few things in common as well...since they are married to US!

Stacey said...

Do NOT change a thing!!! If a word reference is something to make a person drop your blog...they have no life nor an appreciation for YOU!! NO dizziness needed here, Laurel!!

Jen said...

I'm still here! I pushed four children out of my "woo hoo"--no drugs and the last one weighed 10 pounds! Might as well tell it like it is! People don't HAVE to read it if they are offended. I say don't change a thing!

Woo-hoo for Laurel--and her mom! (pun intended) You go girl!

Kathy said...

I find lots to identify with in your writings - so please do NOT change a thing for me. Your thoughts, your happys and your sad times are sometimes what keeps me remembering why I'm here in this time of my life, and the joys and spirit you feel about your children touches my heart so very much. I saw you in the choir at Cowley's Day but didn't get a chance to speak. I watched you sign and I took every breath with you. You are inspiration to me.
Hugs...

Kathy said...

Oops - I meant "sing".
luvs...

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I'm a follower, and always will be. Your post always cheer me up, and it reminds me of the fun times we had way back when....Keep it up, and never change!!!!

Melissa said...

I loved the "woo hoo" comment. You have such a cute way of putting things. I giggled at your ability to tell it like it is without (in my opinion) being crude. Woo hoo-ing is a big deal in a woman's life. Why can't you share that? I won't drop you!

Ella said...

I enjoy all of our entries no matter what you say.

Jennifer said...

Oh dear...I hope my post with the narcissism column didn't get your brain going in those swirls and loops! Sounds like we've both been doing a little introspection. But - you know what? We're both people who are blogging because it brings us joy. We are both doing it because we enjoy writing, and our ultimate audience is our family (my main readers are my dad in CA and mother-in-law in NJ...okay and you and Becky).

It's always good to check in with ourselves, but no need to over-analyze what comes from a pure heart. Besides, anyone who knows you could hear the exact tone of voice you would use when talking about your "woo-hoo". It's just pure, unadulterated Laurel - and that's not one iota different than what you're trying to write about, is it? I love pure Laurel!

Shana said...

You got me laughing so hard while reading your post that I just might have a problem with my woohoo.
I love your style, and I love you! The world would be a very boring place without some Laurels around.
XOXO!

China Girl said...

Laurel you're so funny. I actually do read your blog whenever you post, gotta tell you, you brighten my day.

Audrey said...

I'm commenting on this one again...you know, I often feel the same way when I'm blogging. I have tried more than once to keep a journal-I knew a girl in college who had been doing it for years-so I thought, "I am going to be like her." The problem was that everything I wrote was dorky and I felt so unispired writing to myself. There is something about this forum...like talkin' with my best girlfriends and my mom, that allows me to write freely, and just be me...even if that means risky losing a "friendly reader". And let's face it, how else would be able to keep in touch. This fans the fire of our friendship, don't ya think?