Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I Found my Heart at UW

Mr. Wicke and I met at the University of Wyoming LDS Institute, which is remarkable in that it sets us apart from all of the other couples at church who customarily met at BYU, which was the tradition in our California ward, or, here in Arizona, who knew each other since attending high school at Westwood or Mesa High. But it's also remarkable since he had no business being there.

Why would a Mormon boy from northern California ever consider attending the University of Wyoming? My mother takes the credit saying that she "prayed him there," and as I have become a firm believer in mothers being given an extra ear in Heaven, I don't dismiss it. But I also don't disregard Brother Lawton who once attended UW himself and who at church one Sunday suggested to my Mr. Wicke that he look into it. Ultimately, however, Mr. Wicke insists he gets the credit because it was, after all, he who turned down the full-tuition scholarship from BYU to come and find me--oh, that and to get an education, I suppose.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad he was there that night. Glad because I get to spend forever with him, but also because it just goes to show that two Mormon kids, whose life ambition doesn't include attending BYU can still stay active in our church, find each other, marry in the temple, and have a really good life. All of that AND because I really love the University of Wyoming.

Oh, I know. They're a rowdy bunch. Just ask anyone from BYU who comes over for a football game. But they are also down to earth, solidly good people. Some of the best friendships of my life were developed there--people I still maintain deep connections with.

My college experience was made the day I auditioned for and got into a musical theater troupe called Centennial Singers. I knew it would be a great performing opportunity, but I had no idea what profound joy these people would bring to me. I found a new family there.

Some of them got together over the weekend, and while my heart wanted to be with them, my body needed to be here with my kids preparing them for the new school year. I dream that Heaven will be a place where such choices don't have to be made; I dream that it will be a place where I can be with everyone I love all at the same time. Until then, and until I can see them in person again, I want my UW soul mates to know that big pieces of my heart walk with you every day. You have changed me for better for good.

Mr. Wicke and I send our love.

Post Edit: If you want to see these people in action and read exactly what I feel in my heart about these fantastic friends, go here. Jen says it perfectly.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I am with you. My heart was found at UW too! You guys make the cutest couple. Love ya!

Stacey said...

I love that you love UW!!! I love UW, too!!! I am sorry you could not attend the weekend with your friends, but know that your children are happy that you were with them! Hard decisions! Great post about UW...not many of those I read! :)

Britany said...

My mom is from Wyoming and a UW fan too! :) Such a great story about you and Mr Wicke finding each other!

Audrey said...

This is sweet. It is amazing how God brings two people together. Xee thinks it is silly when I say how glad I am that he came to America...sounds corny, but really, how did we both end up at the same college anyway? Meant to be. Btw, we were on each other's blogs at the same time. I went to mine and saw on the live feed that you were there. Funny. Um, why are you not on my followers list, Miss? I would love to see your cute little face staring back at me!

Jennifer said...

Becky and I read your blog together, complete with "aawwww"s and "Ohhhh"s. We both got teary. We love you. Oh - and we love UW! (Becky just said "Yay - GO POKES!)

Rochelleht said...

Love that post. Loved hearing the story the other day from your lips on how you met. Crazy!! I am a fan of anyone who didn't meet at BYU, as we are in the minority in our ward, too. ;-)

Hamilton Family said...

I'm one of those BYU gals who had a chance to go to UW to visit with an awesome brother (Laurel's equal half)! And, after watching and listening to the Cenntennial Singers I have to say that I have never felt a group have more family togetherness without being blood related! You guys are awesome! Laurel and Thomas, you sure are lucky to have been a part of the Singers family!