Monday, January 28, 2008

A Tribute


President Gordon B. Hinckley
June 23, 1910 - January 27, 2008

If you read many blogs of Mormon authorship, you will see a lot of this man today because we lost our beloved prophet last night.

That's right, I said prophet. Because we believe, just like Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses, that God still chooses to communicate with His children through prophets and send them out into the world to preach His message. It isn't a job I would want. The nature of the calling requires an imperfect human to stand way out on a spiritual limb and yell into the roar of the societal wind. Some people might see that as nutty. Some people despised him for it, and some of us just fell 110% in love with him.

He was fearless. Remember when he was interviewed on national television by Mike Wallace and Mormons everywhere held their collective breath hoping to heaven that it came off well? After all we are fully aware that the general masses don't quite know what to make of us. At best we are seen as quirky. At worst we are seen as a mindless cult. What would our leader say? How would he be treated? None of us could have born to see him humiliated. And he wasn't. In fact, he was marvelous. The man we all loved was communicated perfectly across the screen. He was gentle, full of light, witty, and unapologetic about our beliefs. Quite frankly, I think Mike Wallace, that hardened cynical newsman, fell a little in love with him, too.

I will deeply miss President Hinckley. He taught me a great deal about service to our fellow man, kindness, gratitude and faith. Both his example and words helped me find the focus of my life, the quality of my character. His time spent out on that spiritual limb was not wasted on me, and I am grateful for his service and sacrifice.

Thank you, President Hinckley. Now go. Enjoy your rest. I know this lovely lady is waiting for you.


Sister Marjory Hinckley
1911-2004

As Sister Hinckley told the audience assembled at the 1998 Governor's Marriage Enrichment Conference, "I am very grateful for a husband who always lets me do my own thing. . . . He never insists that I do anything his way, or any way for that matter. From the very beginning he gave me space and let me fly. What a man!"

What a man, indeed.

For an insightful article on Gordon B. Hinckley's life and career, go here.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

I feel the same way. Thanks for voicing it so well. I can't wait to shake his hand someday on the other side.

Laurel said...

I too feel the same. What an amazing man!

Deanna said...

thank you for expressing so eliquently what so many of us are feeling today. He truly was a GREAT man and will truly be missed...but like you, it is hard for be to be too sad; because I know how much he loves and misses his sweet wife. And I know in my heart of hearts that there was a beautiful,sweet reunion last night on the other side.

Lisa-Marie said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

Elisa said...

I'm a lurker here, but have never commented... You said so eloquently what I have been feeling all day.
Thank you.

Debbie said...

Your post made me cry....
Well said..we will miss him...

Amber said...

of course you put it so beautifully. Thank you. I loved his optimism, and that was a gift he constantly gave us all.

Rochelleht said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

Amen.

Madame Queen said...

I didn't know much about him, but he sounds like a lovely man. Your post is a nice tribute.

Tara said...

Thanks for posting this, Laurel. He was amazing and will be missed.

Amanda said...

How wonderful to live a life impacting so many in such a positive and loving way. May he rest in peace.