Monday, January 14, 2008

Lessons from Our Parents


"Have you seen The Bucket List?" asked my mother-in-law while perusing the morning newspaper during their visit last week.

"No, but I really want to. Hey! We could get a sitter and the four of us could go see it tonight if you want."

"Well, because of Bob's hearing we don't see movies until they come out on DVD so we can use the closed captioning."

I had forgotten that my father-in-law's severe hearing loss would make a theater-going experience rather miserable.

"You know," she continued, "we used to talk all the time while the kids were growing up about how we would spend our retirement going to the symphony and concerts. We never do now." There was a hint of wistfulness in her voice.

I've heard that sound before...when my mother talks about the trip she and dad had finally planned right before he passed away. They were going to take the train back East and visit Williamsburg and other historical sights. It was a trip they had looked forward to for a long time, but dad always had work and their mutual responsibilities seemed to get in the way. It was a trip they never took.

I doubt any of us will get to the end without some regrets. Life is just messy that way. But if my mother-in-law was telling me anything, maybe it is that there is no time like the present to try to do the things we're always talking about. Because you never know what's coming around the corner. Because time is always shorter than you think.

...Maybe I'd ought to surprise Mr. Wicke with a couple of tickets to the symphony, just because.

9 comments:

Kate said...

Or better yet... a trip to New York to see a musical. We took our kids to Disneyland this last year and stayed near the resort for a couple of days.. it was the best and worth every penny- mostly for the memories made and the priceless time together (no work, laundry, making beds, etc.)

Rochelleht said...

If you play your cards right, maybe you could take him to the Barbie symphony. I'm sure he'd LOVE that!

That is really a good lesson. No time like the present.

Amanda said...

This is so true. My dad and step-mom never really ever had a vacation. The closest they came was when right after they were married (we lived in Michigan) they drove out west to check out AZ, UT & NM to find us a new place to live.

For Christmas 2000, my dad purchased cruise tickets for their 20th wedding anniversary. Just a week before they were set to depart my dad rec'd his diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. The day before they were set to leave, he suffered a minor stroke that landed him in the hospital (this, btw, was God looking out for him. Can you imagine being out at sea and suffering a stroke?). When my dad finally returned home 5 days later it was under hospice care and he died the next day.

Yes, by all means, DO IT NOW because "round the corner" comes up on you really fast.

Angie said...

Kind of puts things into perspective. I guess we do need to go on vacation. By the way- I love the fingers in the trunk story.

Melissa said...

A good reminder - That;s why I am headed to Hawaii this summer baby!!!!!

Britany said...

That is a good reminder... Like Melissa, we are headed to Hawaii!! :)

Thanks for sharing how cute and helpful Maya was in Nursery yesterday. Mommas need to hear those kind of stories after a long day of being a Mom!

Madame Queen said...

Amanda's story breaks my heart. All the more reason why we should live every day to the fullest and try not to put off our dreams, even if they're small ones.

Lauren said...

What a great post!!

Megan B said...

Great idea! And that's why we are excited to come visit Arizona...even if it is in the middle of summer!