Wednesday, January 30, 2008

This Will Get the Party Started


This holiday season I rediscovered an appetizer that became a true hit. I made it for a number of different parties where it disappeared every time, and my creative foodie friend Melissa told me I should definitely share it on my blog. So here it is. Better late than never.

As a warning: It is definitely "old school." One of those recipes that was probably introduced in the 50's given the inclusion of chipped beef. However, it is worth keeping around because it is delicious!!! There is not one healthy thing in it. Wait...it does have green onions, but other than that it is fat city folks, so it's perfect for the Super Bowl. Anyhow, if you are worried about your waistline remember this: It is an appetizer, so no one should be eating a whole lot of it. Although, you probably won't be able to help yourself. It's that good.

Here goes:

Stuffed Bread
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
1 c. sour cream
1 c grated cheddar cheese
2-4 green onion
1 sm. jar chipped beef, sliced thin and chopped (Mine was called dried beef now. I found it near the tuna fish in my grocery store.)
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 sourdough round

Mix well and stuff hollowed sourdough round. Replace top wrap in foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. During the last 5 minutes of baking, add the bread cubes that were pulled out of the loaf to warm and serve around the hot bread.

A note: Add dried beef to taste since I don't exactly know how small the jar should be. Adding all of mine would have made it way too salty.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Perfect timing! This will be great to try with our 'Super Bowl menu'

Ashlee said...

I am concerned about chipped beef as I have never heard of it - but if you are posting it, and it is your recipe, it must be good!! We will have to give it a whirl! What else is on your Super Bowl menu? Thanks for visiting my blog! We should get together soon! :)

Amanda said...

Since we don't eat poor, helpless cows in this family I will be substituting poor, helpless chickens instead. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Also, did you take that picture? That's a great shot! :)

Rochelleht said...

Who doesn't eat a lot of appetizer? HELLO!? I routinely eat myself sick on that and THEN eat the main dish, too.

Melissa said...

oh yum! I am so glad you posted this!

Angie said...

I love this recipe! I am so glad I have friends that know how to make good food.

Laurel said...

This looks soOOoo good! I can't wait to try it.