Friday, January 25, 2008

Our Unwelcomed Welcoming Committee

It was late when we arrived at the 2 bedroom condo we had rented for our long weekend. All I wanted to do was drop into bed, but first I had to use the facilities. The toilet had one of those sanitary strips around it. I'm torn about those things. Part of me actually believes it is a symbol of cleanliness, and part of me feels a little silly unwrapping a toilet. Nonetheless, I bent over to rip it off and opened the lid--an important point, as the bending put my face in closer proximity to the bowl. Upon opening, this was staring me in the face:


I squealed like the girl I am and hot-footed it to the bed. Why sitting in the middle of the bed and pulling the covers up to my chin makes me feel safe I'll never know, but it does. It was a lukewarm beginning to say the least. The big question for me was what other creatures may have been lurking in the shadows of our love shack? Thomas tried flushing to no avail and then attempted to put my mind at ease; eventually he was able to convince me to use the other bathroom until something could be done in the morning.

When the sun rose and I finally got out of bed, Thomas was already gone finishing the final day of his convention. By the time he got back I was tired of trekking down the hall to the second bath and was ready to be frog free.

"I'll call the front office," he agreed.

"Why don't you just pick it up and throw it outside. That seems like the manly thing to do." The womanly thing, however, is to wait for the man to take care of it, of course.

"No."

"Why not? Just scoop it up. It's not that big." It sounded so easy.

"I don't want to."

Then I just couldn't let it go. My man is usually so brave. "I KNEW it! You're afraid of that thing, too!"

"No...But you know there are poisonous frogs."

That sent me into a fit of giggles. "You ARE afraid!"

"No...I just think I'll let the natives handle it."

But who can blame him really. Did you get a look at that thing? It's not large, but I think I see a wicked glint in its eye.



I wasn't about to touch it either!

12 comments:

Lauren said...

Kermit in your potty! Ew!!

I would definitely have been under the covers too...though Ive actually heard of this happenening around here too...

Im glad youre back!!

Erin said...

It must be genetic. On our honeymoon we were on the beach in the early morning and I found a crab. A harmless little crab (okay, maybe it was five inches big across the shell). I was so excited (coming from a family with boys who always had snakes, salamanders and frogs). I went to pick it up and Bill freaked. So, I proceeded to pick it up and taunt Bill with it. Surprisingly, it didn't snap my arm off. It totally cracks me up, to this day, that this big grown man is scared of such a little thing (although he can eat them, but not catch them himself to eat).

Madame Queen said...

Now, see, I probably would have just reached in there and gotten it out. You're going to have to tell Mr. Wicke that I don't think we have poisonous frogs in North America. ;)

Did you see my comment that MY husband was at that SAME convention!

Rochelleht said...

If you think that is bad, I won't even tell you about our encounter in Mexico last week. Suffice it to say, that it woke my husband up and it required a trap. But we're both still alive and we chalk it up to Mexico. Once you cross the southern border, all bets are off.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I would start to worry that where ever you go, what ever you do something ODD is going to happen. I know it is terror for you but great reading for us. Please keep traveling.

Karen said...

I would probably have tried flushing.

Laurel said...

Ah, Karen, good point. An attempt was made but to no avail. Turns out they are sticky little creatures.

Amanda said...

Ha! Reminds me of the time I sent a boy I was dating running down a hill all because I said, "Cool! A snake!"

With that being said, I am not, however, fond of little reptilian visitors during my private moments spent in the loo.

Karen said...

Drat. Well, you can't blame me for trying.

Melissa said...

that is so funny!. I have yet to find a frog in my potty.

Betsy said...

Ew. Ew, ew, ew. There is a FROG in your toilet. I would have jumped in the bed too. I'm a little freaked out just reading about it. What if you hadn't noticed it!?!?

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Ok...thanks for the post. I don't think I'll be able to sit down on a toilet for a couple of weeks without checking the bowl! As it is I'm always thinking spiders or bugs are going to "get me" as I tinkle! Oh, but make no mistake...I'm still totally jealous of your little vacation! What a treat!!