Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mourning

Yesterday we lost a beloved aunt.  It was not altogether unexpected.  She has been ill for some time, and her body was tired, but that does not make it easier for those of us who will miss her.  My heart has been heavy for her children and her husband who face that gaping hole in their lives and hearts.  I feel some of that myself.

It isn't that I doubt that there is life after death.  That piece of faith has always been anchored deeply in my soul.  Other things I may question, but not an eternal existence.  I will see my aunt again, along with my dear father, grandmothers, grandfathers and my sweet nephew whom we lost all too soon.  What I find myself mourning today is this changing of the guard that we are experiencing.  This loss of our sages, the mother hens of our youth, the pillars of our family, the storytellers, the teachers.  They are going and leaving us on our own for a while. 

And as they drift out of our sight, over the edge of the unknown, my life feels emptier without them.  But I wholly acknowledge--as I recollect my youth, my time in their homes, their laughter, their boundless love and affection--that the emptiness I feel now only comes from a richness of which they played a great part.

I will miss you, Aunt Kathleen, but I am better for being loved by you, and that is what I will remember until I see you again.

5 comments:

Ella said...

I'm sorry to hear about Kathleen's passing. I'll be thinking of you all. While we have the gospel which brings immense comfort, a loss is still a loss. But as you said, we are grateful for having known our loved one and what she brought to our life.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Dana D. texted about her passing and I cried all morning yesterday...she was such a perfect lady and great example to me. She taught me everything about having class and having a song in my heart.

Stacey said...

I was deeply saddened. You hit it on point...mother hens of our youth. She was a lady, through and through and touched most children in our little space in this world. I am sorry for your whole family. My thoughts and prayers to you all!

Rochelleht said...

Ah, I'm so sorry. Oh, how I know how this feels. Bless you, friend!!!

tawnya said...

I'm so sorry! What frightens me is that WE are becoming that for the next generation.