Thursday, August 25, 2011

Love Tour 2011: The Activities


On one of our first days in Cowley, we experience what arguably was the highlight of the trip:  An Evening at the Gams' Longhorn Ranch.  My longtime friend, Shelly, drove down from Billings, MT and met us at her parents' house to take the kids horseback riding, BB gun shooting, and haystack climbing.  Her dear mother, Sylvia, cooked up some yummies, and we finished the evening with an outdoor barbecue in their lovely backyard.  As I sat back in the soft glow of the sunset eating my s'more and looking out over Johnnie's alfalfa field, newly cut, viewing the sandhills in the distance meeting that crystalline blue sky, I concluded that it was just about a near perfect day.  And my children concluded that they wanted to move there and live in the country.  I can't say that I blame them.  It is a lovely way to live.  The older I get, the more I am drawn to wide, open spaces.


Maybe someday...  But, back at the ranch (quite literally):  Although Logan desperately wanted to ride the sorrel, they thought the white horse, Rocky, would be a better fit for her, and it wasn't long before she fell head over heels in love with that horse.  She came home to Arizona talking about her boyfriend Rocky.  And every time we would drive by the farm, she would wave and call out, "Hello, Rocky!"  Now she is talking about taking horseback riding lessons.  I have to admit, she kind of took to it like a duck to water.


I don't know if there could by anything better for a 10 year old girl than a horse.  And just look at my boy.
 

Does he not look like he was born in the wrong century? Shelly loaned him her BB gun for the rest of our vacation, and he had a ball! And though it would surprise some people, he was unusually responsible with it. Not one accident or cracked window at Grandma's house. Turns out, he's a pretty good shot.


It was a full day of fun!  Catch Shelly in some of these photos.  She really made it an adventure for them.  What a trooper!


And though they would probably hate me for it, here are our hosts: 


John and Sylvia, we can't thank you enough for opening your home to us. It was a delight and my kids will remember it always. Many thanks to you!

3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Ah, loveliness. SEE!? See why my summers are so great!!? So glad you got a taste of that. Next year, 8 weeks! ;-)

Audrey said...

Oh my dear friend, Laurel, I finally got to catch up on your life! What a summer you have had. I just LOVE you and right about now I am desperately wishing there was a long road between my home and yours (besides the one in our hearts). I would drive for hours and hours just to spend 5 minutes with you again!

Love the pictures. Xee and I have talked about seeing more of the USA on the road and it is still a dream of ours to one day take the kids on a long road trip. And I agree, the older I get, the more I long for wide open spaces as well :)

Anonymous said...

We love our new neighbors the Gams'. They are full of stories and my boys love to hear them all! It looks like great fun. Horses and BB guns...what could be better!!