Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bookclub 101

Last night was bookclub at my house.  I love gathering with smart women and discussing literature.  Good food--like Black Forest ham and brie croissants, strawberry spinach salad, and lemon cake--never hurts either.  But critiquing plot pacing, character development, voice and learning something about history in the process is enlightening to my mind.  It gets those neurons firing again, and I love that feeling. 

It almost reminds me of my college days, well...except for the two year old who, in the middle, yelled from the top of the stairs, "I have my shirt!  My clothes!" and indeed he did.  Many of his clothes in his arms, waving his shirt like a title of liberty.

A few minutes later, disgruntled by my lack of enthusiasm, he was in the middle of the room, "My shirt!  I got my shirt!"

"Yes.  I see.  Go show your daddy!"

He disappeared only momentarily.  Next he wanted to show us a giant dog bed that he dragged in from the family room.  After that he came in and dropped an armload of his favorite toys in the middle of the floor.  "Look!" he crowed.

"Uh, Thomas?" was my reply.

Like I said, almost like my college days.  Almost.

2 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Which is EXACTLY why we all kick our families out of the house when we host book club. Much easier when it is done on Saturday afternoon than a weeknight.

tawnya said...

Which is why we meet at restaurants for book club. Well, that, and none of us want the "cleaning house" pressure.

And we TRY to remember to discuss the book. Mostly.