Thursday, July 10, 2008

Who Wants a Book?

I have been internetless these last couple of days. It may be possible that my computer is allergic to my father-in-law. I have that effect on some digital watches. They just quit working when on my body. But, anyway, thanks to a very smart technogeek, who was totally worth his fee per hour, I am back online.

Now, remember how I told you about one of my favorite happy places, The Half-Price Bookstore? And remember how I told you about my summer reading list? Well, the other day, as I was ready to embark on The Scarlett Letter, I could not find it anywhere! I looked and I looked, but alas I had to finally conclude that it was gone. It's been known to happen around here. I lose a lot of books, sheetmusic, and pie tins. Go figure.

Anyway...stay with me, this is all going to come together. So I went to The Half-Price Bookstore and picked up a nice hardcover copy of The Scarlet Letter for a mere $7.00, and only upon returning home and placing my newly purchased books on my bookshelves did I discover my old copy which apparently had been sitting there the whole time. Don't ya' hate when that happens?

But let's turn my loss into your gain, shall we? If you would like me to send you my newly purchased copy of The Scarlet Letter, drop me a comment, and I'll send it your way. I just started it and am loving reading it as an adult. So much drama in just the opening chapters! I mean there she is standing on the platform of shame clutching a baby born out of an adulterous affair, being harassed for the name of the father in front of the entire community, and then appears at the back of the crowd but her husband, long thought dead. And I won't even start on Rev. Dimmsdale. Goodness! Mr. Hawthorne spun quite a yarn, didn't he?

And to my mother, who can not figure out how to leave a comment, you can call me. (Love you a lot, Mom!) If there is more than one person out there who wants it, we'll have a drawing. My kids love a good drawing.

Happy reading everyone!

5 comments:

mother of seven said...

me me me ... I have not read it and I will give it back!!!!!

I am going to Mexico next week and might have some time..... Or not:)

Lisa-Marie said...

Oooooh. I haven't read The Scarlet Letter since high school. I bet it would be good as an adult. I'm in!

Jessie Evans said...

Oh! One of my all-time favorite books! Fortunatly for other readers of your blog, I already have a copy. I just wanted to chime in on how good this book is.

Jen said...

I have a hard back copy of TSL myself and just reread it last summer. Right now I am reading "The Scarlet Pimpernel". It's the perfect story--passion, intrigue, trickery. Yum! Put it on your list.

Deanna said...

Laurel, that is soo funny. I was at the Deseret Industries the other day and found a copy for a mere $2. Glad to know you recommend it. Happy Reading.

p.s. I've been reading Pride and Predjudice (at your recommendation) LOVE IT!!!! it definetly deserves to be on the list of best books ever read!!!!!