Monday, July 21, 2008

A Real Life Story from a Bad Mom

Look, before I tell this story, I will go ahead and say it: Yes. I am a bad mom. I know it. There. Now we won't have to pretend to ignore the elephant in this slice of life piece.

This is how it all started: Griffin had to get the rest of his immunizations for school. And I don't know about you, but for me the whole shot record stuff is a lot like routine car maintenance. I want desperately to be better about it. I know it's important, but my brain does not hold onto all those details stretched out over months and years, especially stuff I don't understand. I know as much about the HepB vaccination as I do a carburetor. And yeah, I could learn it, but come on; isn't that why I hire a pediatrician and a mechanic? So I don't have to learn stuff I'm not really interested in? (Bad mom points: 2)

Here's what I do know: (Let's break it down into an easy math formula, shall we?)

The medical community says you need to get your kids immunized.

- Others say immunization is linked to autism and you shouldn't immunize.

+ However, a kid can't get into school without being immunized.

+ There is no way in hell I am homeschooling. (Bad mom points: 1)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
= Therefore my kids will be immunized.

That's all I need to understand really. Well...that and the whole timeline/schedule of vaccinations thingy. I'm not so good at that. (Bad mom points: 3)

But I will say in my defense that my kids are amazingly healthy. Griff has taken an antibiotic only once in his life. We never have to go to the doctor. (Okay--everybody together now. Start knocking on wood!) And I mean never, so maybe that's why doctor visits are not on the tip of my brain all the time.

Anyway, the point is Griffin was behind a little. I knew it. In fact, I was pretty sure we had missed his wellness check the year before. (Bad mom points: 2) And now I had waited until so late in the summer that getting him in to see the doctor before school started just wasn't going to happen. (Bad mom points: 1) One may assume we were in a terrible bind here, but the truth is, while I may be a bad mom, I am, however, a resourceful one. I just happen to know of a little place called the free county immunization clinic. Granted it is located in sketchy-ville, but at this point what do we care?

"Get in the car, kids! We're going on a field trip." I load 'em up, grab his shot records, (See? At least I know where they are.) and head out. That's when the real fun begins.

To be continued...

And if you're keeping track my bad mom score is 9. I may have to give my kids back.

17 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats on being pregnant! You're doing something right because my kids have always been up to date on their immunizations and I always have sick kids! I would be bankrupt if I didn't have health insurance!!! Thanks for the invite to swim last week. I was out of town when you called:( Maybe next time.

Deanna said...

I'm glad to know you're normal. I was beginging to think you were the perfect mom. Thanks for staying here with the rest of us. I would compare notes... but I'm saving aan all time record of being the bad mom for my blog... believe me it will pale in comparison to not keeping up on shots.

Deanna said...

p.s. thanks for good book recomendations. I just finished reading 'peace like a river' Loved it too. I'm reading 'back when we were grownups right now. thanks again you haven't disappointed!!!!

Tara said...

Oh Laurel, if you are a bad mom, we are all in trouble.

At least you knew where Griffin's vaccination records were. I had no idea where Jacob's were, then I found them, lost them again, and had to get them from the school.

I can't believe that he is going to kindergarten. Time flies.

Laurel said...

It sounds to me like you are pretty much like every other mom I know. My doctor's nurse gives me a hard time because of my forgetfulness.

Elisa said...

whew. I'm glad I am not the only member of the "bad mom club" or is the "normal mom club"?

I don't even know where our shot records are, and my 5 year old had to get 6 shots for school this year. Count them-6! That was a bad day for my Mom score card!

Lisa-Marie said...

Uh, I don't buy the "bad mom" bit for one second. Normal? Maybe. But, bad? Nope. Keep trying.

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I am so in that club and proud of it.

I took the kids in once for something else and while in there the Dr recommended shots, so both kids got them. Everywhere we went the kids were showing anyone that would listen and look the shots or bandaid sites. What an awful mom I was to cause so much harm to them....brother!!!

Mom's we just cannot win!!!

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I just hate these "to be continued..." entries.

I love it when you occasionally use indiscriminate profanity. Makes me happy.

Pam said...

I've been to the scary free vaccine place and I used a whole thing of antibacterial gel when I came out. I had to go there because the school nurse called me to tell me Jonah didn't have a shot of some sort that I didn't even know he needed. They said he couldn't come back to school until he got it so you betcha I went that very afternoon! You are a great mom by the way. Most moms would have much more than 9 points against them on any given day.

Lauren said...

Yeah, no way you're bad mom. Especially not bad since I saw you at Chick Fil A!! That was so funny to run into you. You look great! I hate the shots, too. Not fun. Hang in there!

mother of seven said...

All I can say is been there done that...... I know all the free clinics. I have been behind on some yes.... but guess what? you can get caught up....

Hamilton Family said...

Didn't you know??? They've got "bad mom shots" at the clinic too!!! I've been immunized, really works!!! Just need a booster every new child or 5 years, whichever comes first!

Amanda said...

Kirby is 18 mos old and I still haven't scheduled his 15 mos well-baby check-up.

And how many bad mommy points do I get for this: I PURPOSELY postpone and delay vaccines and I only allow 2 shots PER VISIT! That means the boy is far behind on his vaccs.

He'll be all caught up come kindergarten, though. I ain't letting nothing keep him out of full-time school! Trust me! LOL!

Sara said...

you are so funny!

i give my children bravery awards if they don't freak out during the shots...

bravery award= unabashed, full fledged bribe

Shaka said...

so familiar, so true!
i count on the dr. to keep my kids up to date and just hope that i get them to the dr. regularly. i did miss thing 1's 2 year appointment. the year was over before i knew it started! but she is back on track!

Jennifer said...

Good news for a "bad" mom feeling guilty about vaccines: There is no solid research linking vaccines to autism. In fact, it was the mercury, but they've stopped using vaccines with mercury.

Bad news for a "good" mom trying to do the right thing: When I took Kirby in for his 5 year check-up, he had to get 4 shots, and they gave them all to him in the same leg since he was screaming so loudly and flailing so much. He woke up in the middle of the night screaming because it hurt for his leg to touch the sheet!

Can't wait to hear "The rest of the story..."