Monday, July 7, 2008

A Favorite Place

Last week the kids and I went to one of my out of the way favorite places: The Half-Price Bookstore in Mesa. Every time I go in there it is like a first date. Well, maybe a cheap first date, but I can't deny that my heart beats a little faster just looking at shelf after shelf of alphabetized books. It's a sense of adventure, not knowing what I may find since the selection is different every week. My advice is to not go with your heart set on any particular purchase. Just go in open to whatever the universe is wanting to give you.

Currently I am carrying around the list of the books so many of you were kind enough to suggest for my reading pleasure. Everytime I go in I check to see if any are there. Last time around I had no luck in that department, but here's what I did bring home:

1. Vintage Nancy Drew mysteries #1-3 (all hardcover).

2. Charlotte's Web (hardcover) Logan chose this one saying, "This is a good book. It's classic." I'm so proud.

3. Back When We Were Grownups by one of my favorite authors, Anne Tyler (hardcover).

4. Another copy of Peace Like a River because I keep giving it away. It's that good.

5. Some weird vintage children's book that Griffin chose. I can't account for his taste.

6. From the $1.00 rolling cart, A is for Alibi. I've never read any of this Sue Grafton series, but I thought if I was going to try it I might as well start with A. I mean, what? She's up to like T now, right? Maybe she's on to something after all. Besides, you just can't leave without trying to buy a hardcover for a buck! I have a real thing for hardcover books.

And...(drumroll please)...all this happiness for a grand total of about $25.00! No wonder I have a love affair with the Half Price Bookstore. Can you blame me?

Where is your happy place?

10 comments:

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I love the bookstore too. I once read an entire novel without purchasing it. I just kept coming back at night and finding a real comfy chair I sat and read. It was kinda funny and "the man" said that was what libraries were for - but it was still fun.

I will have to try the ones that you recommended. I am always up for a good read.

Stephanie said...

...that would be Home Goods! used to have one about 2 miles from my house and now I have to drive a good 20 minutes (which in my husband's mind is a good thing!). anyway, the other day I stumbled upon their summer clearance...score!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I love 1/2 Price Books. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

mother of seven said...

Ok What is the name of you happy place? I could not read the sign.

I took Kyler to Bookman's....Used book store and you know what he keeps picking out?

National Geographics...I'm like Kyler pick a story!!! I have to be reminded it was his choice.

Oh and I like hardbacks also....

Kyle said...

I love Half Price Books! I haven't been there forever!

Amanda said...

I love the Half Price Bookstore as well. Such good finds there! Next time I go, I'll look for Peace Like a River.

My happy place? Aside from the See's candy store, I would have to say Hobby Lobby. I'm just so tickled that it's finally here in the Valley! I could spend hours there, not to mention hundreds of dollars.

Well, if I had hundreds of dollars, that is! :p

Madame Queen said...

I'm happy if I can take a book and just sit in a coffee shop (preferably in a comfy chair) and just sit and leisurely read my book and drink my coffee. BY MY SELF. :)

Madame Queen said...

Hey, got your comment! I have TONS of morning sickness remedies so let me know if you need them!

Miss Becky said...

I am with Madame Queen. A nice little coffee shop with a book and not a soul needing me for something!

Betsy said...

I love Borders. I walk in, see all those books, and that new book smell hits my nostrils . . . and all my problems fade away. I'm a book addict.