Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Baby Update

We found out today that there is just one healthy little baby in that tummy of mine! (Let's all breathe a giant sigh of relief, shall we?) Mr. Wicke may be just a teensy bit disappointed since he had come to terms with the possibility of twins, but I think that is only because he isn't the one to have to be home with them all day.

As for me, I am happy to feel sure that I can do one baby because I have done that two times before and kept them alive and everything! Plus I still feel badly that we missed most of Griffin's babyhood. I mean we were here for it; we lived through it, but we also had a 22 month old and were in the middle of moving. Things were so hectic at the time that I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wish I would have, which is one of the reasons why the idea of having another baby was so inviting. I really want to savor it this time around, and two or more would make that ever so much more difficult, wouldn't it?

Consequently, I for one, am feeling very light and relieved, and mostly grateful that everything looks good so far. The baby is sitting right where it is supposed to be, a great relief since I had nearly convinced myself that I was having an ectopic pregnancy. (I am not going to read those pregnancy books anymore!) And we even got to see its little heart beating a good strong beat. Griffin was sure it looked like a boy, which was very insightful since it is only about 1/2 millimeter in size, but despite his expertise I think we shall still consult a sonogram in about seven or eight weeks. Either way, one of our children will be disappointed. Logan has her heart set on a girl, and, well, as I just pointed out, Griffin has already come to his own conclusion.

I am just happy that we are all enjoying this adventure so far, and send up a prayer daily that things continue to go well. One thing I've learned: There really is no difference between adopting and actually giving birth. No matter how they come, you love them from the moment you hear about them, and you worry from that time on. Motherhood is quite an adventure.

21 comments:

Sher said...

Congratulations! My sister (I think I may have mentioned her to you before) got prego thru IVF and was SURE that she was going to have twins, and was a little disappointed that it was just one, at first. But she is absolutely thrilled with her sweet little baby.
I'm glad to hear your baby is healthy!

Kyle said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you guys! And I am glad there is only one...I know what you mean about missing out on the baby days...I was also there for my kids but its all a daze now (not that twins aren't good but I like the one at a time theory)!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you. I told my mom I found your blog, and was in contact with you. She was so excited. She has always loved you, and thought you were such a fantastic gal. I pray all will go well for you the next few months. I love reading your blog and look in on you every few days. Good luck!!

Ashley said...

Congrats! I too am not convinced that i could make it work with more than one at a time, one is hard enough. Can't wait to hear more about your journey

Laurel said...

This is great news...although I think you would be great with twins.

Now that you are officially prego and everything is going well...may I introduce you to the snoogle? I just bought one and love it. They look a bit weird, but what's a little wierdness compared to a good nights sleep?

Lisa-Marie said...

Hip hip hooray! I too agree that you could handle anything, but I am glad that you are content with one!!

Glad that all is well and just as it should be. And yes, STOP reading the books if they make you anxious. I just about did myself in when I was pregnant with Sirri. I was just sure I had everything!!!!

Thx as always for keeping us posted!

Madame Queen said...

Yay!! When we were pregnant with our first, Mr. Daddy said he hoped it was twins (they run in my family). I was like BITE.YOUR.TONGUE! He had no idea what he was wishing for.

I am going to here and now make MY prediction for the gender. Hmmmm....let's see.....I'm thinking...BOY. Can't wait to find out!

Erin said...

I was sure you were going to have at least three when I read about your numbers. Good thing you get to start with one! We are so excited to have another Wicke on the way!

Megan B said...

We are all thrilled over here that all is well. We miss you. Take care and get some Unisom...helps with the nausea and sleeplessness. Love you...

Elisa said...

{{Jumping up and down clapping!}}

I am so excited for you! I will teach you how to push the baby out with only 1 push if you want!! ;P

Really. So excited for you!

Pam said...

I'm so happy that everything looks great and that you can avoid the stress of a multiple pregnancy. Your kids will really enjoy the baby because they'll be old enough to be helpers and to appreciate having a baby in the home. Isn't seeing that heartbeat such a wonderful thing. Can't wait to know the gender later.

Debbie said...

Yeah! I'm sure that is a releif..having babies 9 months apart left me in a daze:)
Sort of like twins I guess..
That is exciting..
Are the kids questioning anything about a baby growing in your tummy as apossed to adoption??

Deanna said...

I'm so glad to hear that all is well! And I'm in total understanding of the news that there is just one. where the novelty of twins 'sounds'fun I'm with you. I just want to savor. And as for Logan and Griffin...once that baby gets here they won't care nearly as much whether it's a boy or a girl they will just be too excited!!!!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

yeah! I was just getting for work, and stopped blow drying my hair, because I remembered yesterday was "the day!"
And I love your last part of the post..it is so true. And you love them the same, no matter how they got here!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

YEAH!!!! So happy for you and that things are going good. By all means STOP reading those books - they cover every possible thing and suddenly you have all the symptoms - stop reading them.
When you find out the sex, please let us know cause I would like to give you something for this new little gift. Blessings!!!

Katie said...

Congrats again! And I agree with the pregnancy books. They always freak me out. The only book I am allowed to read is the Girlfriend's Gide to Pregnancy. Read that one. I have read it every time and it actually makes me feel way better, plus it's a great laugh! Enjoy!

mother of seven said...

lAUREL.... I am happy to hear everything is going well for you. A healthy baby is good news!!!! see you when I get back!!!!!

Jen said...

YEAH!! Congratulations! Do you have an official due date yet?

Rochelleht said...

YEAH!! I'm so glad. How fun and wonderful for you.

Itty-Bitty Portraits said...

I am so happy for you. Jamie told me you were pregnant and I found you link from Shana's page.... You are totally right DON'T READ MORE BOOKS! I have been doing L&D for 6 years now and the best momma's that I have seen are the ones that trust their maternal insticts and leave all the thoughts out of it. We forget all the instructions are written IN US! We had our babies 20 months apart and moved when out baby was 6 months old so I hear you on missing out on that precious baby time! Best wishes to you and enjoy your pregnancy (don't forget to document it becuase you forget too easily).
Tina Stinson (Miller)
Monica's Daughter!

Amanda said...

I am just so excited for you! And you are right - I don't think there's a difference btwn adopting and giving birth; a baby is a baby and a mommy is a mommy!

CONGRATULATIONS! :)