Monday, February 25, 2008

A Tag Continued and a New Obsession

Three more little known quirks to go...

This one was suggested by my friend Ashley in her comment, and it caught me so off guard that I actually blew a tiny little bit of snot out of my nose. Gross, but true. So I will paste it exactly as she wrote it.

5. "You sometimes swear but I think your true friends like you better because of that trait."

Well, I hope they do, because the rest of that is true, unfortunately. So true, in fact, that Mr. Wicke informed his family that I had a "swearing problem" before I ever met them. I'm still holding a grudge.

Please keep two things in mind: First, I have a swearing problem for a Mormon, so my off color language consists mostly of damn and hell, and everyone knows those don't really count. (said with tongue in cheek.) And secondly, Thomas was really uptight back then. I still don't know what he expected me to do. Let loose with a string of expletives upon introduction to his parents? What a nimrod!


He still is not forgiven for that one.

I think that last one should count as at least two quirks, so I will jump right to number 7.

7. This weekend I have gained a new obsession with goodreads.com. My friend Megan invited me to join and compare our booklists, but it just sat there for a while until this weekend when I decided to list some of the books I have read these last couple of years. Now I can't stop. Turns out I really like listing things. Who woulda' thunk it, huh? I'm cataloging everything I've read since about 1997 it seems, or at least what I can remember. Back in 2006 I started keeping track of books that I had read and giving them a personal review, but this system is way better and easier. But I need friends! So if you are a reader and want to compare booklists, see mine here and get started. I'd love to see what you all are reading.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

How funny to hear that you have a "swearing" problem. When I got my mission call I remember thinking...I better quit saying "hell" and "damn" before I officially become a missionary.

I love the book list is a great idea. Can't wait to start.

Amanda said...

I will never understand why "hell" is a swear word - makes no sense to me. I still don't like hearing my 3 yr old say it though. :0

I'll be checking out the book list, too. Looks like fun.

Off topic: My fellow Lost fan - just thought I'd tell you, I discovered Hurley has a blog. I've just spent several minutes reading the first 3-4 pages of it. He's hysterical! Here's the address if you want to check it out:

www.dispatchesfromtheisland.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

I never really thought hell and damn were all that bad. Sometimes they are the only words appropriate for the moment.

A Book list huh... I will have to check it out!

Rochelleht said...

I'm so impressed that you kept track before GoodReads. But it is fun, once you start, huh?

That post cracked me up!

Elisa said...

My problem word is "holy sh.." It is such a great word-- very descriptive-- but not so great when your 3 year old hears you mutter it under your breath in Target, and then proceeds to yell it the entire rest of the time you are there.
I am LOVING the good reads site. Thanks for the shout out regarding it... I had never heard of it!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

im with you on the language :) I knew i liked you :)

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Gheesh! You remind me so much of my sister. She has a "swearing problem" well...for a Mormon! Seriously, you crack me up. And I loved the mom interview, I gotta do this next time my mom is in town.