Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Battle of the the French Fries

Sometimes married couples fight about the most insubstantial things. The absurdity of these arguments, however, does not dilute their passion. The marriage contract requires so many personal concessions that once in a while a partner may find herself gripping desperately to a scrap of autonomy. For me, it was McDonald's french fries.

Mr. Wicke and I were on our way to the airport. Already past the noon hour, we knew we needed something to eat before boarding our plane. And here is one of the many areas in which we differ. To me, ease trumps money. Mr. Wicke disagrees. The artificially high price of airport food goads him in principle. And while I agree that there is an element of price gouging, I don't really care. I'd rather pay a couple of bucks more just to make things easier. That said, with Thomas driving, we were pulling through the drive through of McDonald's just before reaching the airport, which meant to me that we were going to be eating hurriedly in the car and, more likely, dragging our meal with us, along with all of our bags, and eating it cold once we got inside. Perhaps that made me grouchy on the outset.

It got worse.

"Welcome to McDonald's. How may I help you?" came the voice from the tin box.

Thomas looked to me awaiting my decision. "Ummm...I'll have the number 4 with cheese and a diet coke."

Then, to the tin box, Thomas says, "We'll have a number four with cheese, supersize the fries--"

"I don't want a large fry!"

"--and a diet coke with that..."

"I don't want a large french fry," I repeated more loudly. I felt like a pesky gnat buzzing at his ear which he casually flicked away.

"And then a Big and Tasty..."

"I don't want a large french fry!!" I was nearly shouting now.

Finally with equal irritation, he responded, "We're gonna' share!"

Now in every marriage, there comes a time when one has to ask, "Is this the hill I'm going to die on?" At that moment the answer was a resounding yes!

As he began to pull forward, I cried, "I don't want to share!"

"What is your problem?!"

That quieted me for a moment. Not happily, but it did quiet me because while my elevated blood pressure indicated that I, indeed, did have a problem, I didn't know exactly what that problem was. Why was this hill so important to me?

And then I had a recollection. I remembered as a child sitting in the back of our family car, pulling through a drive through ever so long ago.

"I want a fish sandwich! I want a fish sandwich!"

My dad paid no heed. "We'll have four hamburger deluxes--

"But I don't want a--"

"--with onion and extra pickle."

"But I don't like onions--"

"Then I'll eat it!"

I sank back in my seat, my arms folded defiantly across my chest and mumbled under my breath, "When I get big I'm going to get anything I want!"

And here I was, big, and still not getting what I wanted. The only thing left to do was to sit back, fold my arms defiantly across my chest and say, "When I outlive you, I'm going to get anything I want!"

This was evidently a hill on which I was just going to have to outlast him.

14 comments:

Kyle said...

Thats funny...speaking of McDonalds on my loooong drive to Wyoming we stopped at the best McDonalds in Evanston. Highlight of the trip was sitting on saddles in Wyoming and eating my McDonalds (is that the cutest thing...their seats are saddles?) Have you been to that McDonalds?
Anyway, Benson's mom is from Cody (her maiden name is Siggins) and his Dad is from Worland. Benson has lived in Evanston and Laramie....
I love Wyoming..so fun!

Shana said...

I love, love, love that story! If you could only see my face right now. I am laughing so hard I have tears.
I have a couple of good drive thru stories where I totally embarrassed myself and my husband. But in my defense, I was pregnant when they happened. :)

Love ya!

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

ha! that is funny..where were you going? are you out of town right now?

Madame Queen said...

Now see, I would have been like "I *want* the large fry but I'm not going to share. Get your own!!" My husband always says I'm so greedy that I never want to share. My response, "If you want some, get your own. These are MINE!"

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I love you! That was great and I SOOOO agree. We are living parallel lives. I HATE when Greg orders. He always screws it up. He doesn't have as much practice as I do. I'm an expert. And I know exactly what I want and don't mess with it, man!

Kate said...

I love it... it is so true..we think we are going to get what we want... huh!

Megan B said...

Love that story! I can just picture every little facial tweek right down to the flaring nostrils!!!

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

Oh those childhood McDonalds memories! Why is it that they are never pleasant ones? Too many kids...too much craziness. And you never end up with what you want. I say when it comes to fries...NO SHARING! And that's final.

Sandi said...

I found you from Ashlee Miller's blog. I am laughing so hard I am crying. I have to share this silly thing with you. I was married for 28 years to the same man. We had a continuing argument during that time about which was better Coke or Pepsi. A week after our divorce, I went out to eat and was asked if I wanted a Coke or a Pepsi. I couldn't remember which one I was supposed to like best. Why do we let those silly things get so big. :-). I love your story.

Thomas said...

At this moment my guess is that most of the female species inhabiting the civilized world think I am a throw back to cromanin man... and I really don't care. As Paul Harvey says, "and now for the rest of the story". First of all this little event probably took place 10 years ago... talk about the female ability to "gunnysack" (if you don't know what that means, ask Laurel). Let's just say I left this little blight on our relationship behind LONG ago (and we have not shared a large, medium or biggie fry ever since). Secondly, my guess is we were probably on our way to one of our little romantic get-a-ways. So I ask you ladies of the jury, let she who is without sin cast the first stone. The truth about my wonderful Mrs. Wicke is that when I am dead and gone she will drive through McDonalds, order her large fry and shed a tear over the wonderful memory of Mr. Wicke... bless his little heart.

Amber said...

I laughed when I read what you said, but I am dying at what Thomas has said!! He sounds like Eric so much in a situation like this...scary. I will say one thing- I try not to gunnysack and I try not to make little things BIG, signifigant word is TRY!

mother of seven said...

That's funny.... After 18 years of marriage Frank will ask me, make sure you get what you want cuz I am hungry. If you want to share thats fine..... But I want to know ahead of time. Sharing is good, but I have to know about it!!!!

susanstayner said...

Great story. Great writing. Great conclusion. I plan to use it soon.
Love your blogs.

Deanna said...

Wade learned early on in our marriage that I was the 'orderer' in our family. Maybe it was all those years as a waitress?1? and he has also learned that he is not allowed to touch my fries until I claim that I am done.It's saved our marriage.