Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Preschool

Some friends and I do a rotating preschool for our 3 and 4 year olds two days a week this year. Last week it was at our house. Now don't get me wrong, they are cute and they love "school", but I can't help thinking the whole time, "Yes...teaching high school was the right decision for me." Here's an example:

Me: Okay guys, today we get to learn about the letter U! Look at this. You see this letter? It starts at the sky, curves down to touch the grass, and goes back up to the sky. Do you see that? That is the letter U. Now what letter is that?

Them: (blank stares)

Me: That's the letter U. The letter U says, "yoo" or "uh." Can you say that? "Yoo..."

Them: "Yoo."

Me: "Uh."

Them: "Uh."

Me: Very good! Let's see which of these pictures start with a "yoo" or "uh" sound. If it starts with "yoo" or "uh" let's circle it, okay? Oooh, what's that first picture?

Them: A giraffe!!!

Me: Right! Does that start with a U? Does it say "yoo" or "uh?"

Them: Yes!

Me: Are you sure? Uh, uh...giraffe. G-g-g-giraffe? Does that sound like uh or yoo?

Them: Uh-huh.

Me: No--no it doesn't. Don't circle that. What's next?

Them: An umbrella!!

Me: Good! Does that start with the letter U?

Them: NO!!

Me: Hey, I've got an idea! Let's paint!

And that's why I teach teenagers. But, I have to admit: Teenagers aren't nearly as cute as this:








11 comments:

Erin said...

Cute! I love it. I think their brains don't really start processing "school" until four and a half.

Rochelleht said...

Oh my gosh, ok first off, the game room is GORGEOUS!!! You rock.

Secondly, this is why I would never do the rotating preschool. Not my cup of tea party...

Grace and I are doing Hooked on Phonics right now and I am reminded every time why I am not a home-schooling parent (among other reasons).

Madame Queen said...

Yeah, you couldn't pay me enough to teach pre-schoolers. Whatever my kids' schools charge is definitely worth paying!

Kyle said...

I totally feel your pain. Are you putting Griffin in preschool next year? I am looking for Ben.
Kyle

Deanna said...

Okay... I know i'm totally missing the point. But I LOVE your cute signs that you have hanging in the background. I'm going to have to get the phrases from those!
Just remember... they are absorbing more than they let on. Someday... it will pay off.

Katie said...

Laurel, I love you blog! It is so fun to see your lovely family. You are braver than I to take on the "joy-school" thing!

Laurel said...

This may be totally off the subject, but I looOOoove your playroom...verY cute!

Lisa-Marie said...

Okay, yes, the kids are adorable, but could you PLEASE post pictures of that room? That looks incredible!!!!

Amber said...

whose Mother lets their son go to school without a shirt!?!?! Those reasons and 7,00,000 others is why I stand behind sending my children to preschool... They are cute though!!

Megan B said...

Did I teach you NOTHING about my experience with JOY School??? BLAH! That is why I was the "Special Ed" teacher and Shilo the "real" teacher. STOP MAKING ME CRY!

Melissa said...

Adorable!