Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Home to Nest

I am home.  Sleeping in my old bed.  Looking out at my old street.  Visiting with my old neighbors.  Home.

Smiling, I sent my kids away on their bikes this morning with a dollar each to get an ice cream at The Cowley Mercantile.  "Go ahead and explore if you want, I called.  Just be careful on this main street."  And as I walked back into the house, I hoped they would be gone a long time.  Not because I didn't want to see them, but because I wanted them to experience a kind of freedom that they do not know.  A kind of freedom that gives birth to an independent spirit. 

By experiencing life on my own terms, I came to know myself.  I want that for my children.  And so I come home and push my children out of the nest, in a place where I know it's safe for them to land.

4 comments:

Ella said...

how true how true . . . arriving there in 4 days! Hope to see you.

Rochelleht said...

Ah, exactly why we are in Utah every summer!!!!

Have a wonderful time! Contact me when you are heading back down south. I'll be in Idaho the next two weekends and Logan during the week.

Stephy said...

It's so great that they get to experience that. Cowley is such a neat place! We can't wait to see you all Saturday.

Joan said...

I'm glad that you got to go home for a while. I remember spending all day running around town with never a thought of getting hurt. I roller-skated for hours and swam in the dirty canal. It's still home to me too. In fact, we are going to build a home there in a couple of years. Your sister and I
were street-walkers for years. Tee hee