Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How I've Written Myself into a Corner

This blog is somewhat troublesome.  It's a love hate thing.  I love it because it's made me practice writing.  And writing for public consumption, which has been inspiring and terrifying.  And I think I've gotten better over these last four years.  That's also a love thing.  But now I feel pressure to write something good.  And a lot of time I don't have time to write anything good.  I'm too busy with stitches and pukey camp trips--both topics that deserve well written posts that may never happen--to actually do the thinking and the coercing and the writing that good writing requires.  And so I write nothing.  For long periods of time.

And I don't know how to bridge the gap.

So tell me, dear Readers--if you are still there--what is better for this blog.  Daily posts that are somewhat mediocre and sometimes meaningless, or infrequent posts that really say something.  'Cause I don't know the answer.

P.S.  This blog has also revealed to me my tendency toward beginning sentences with conjunctions, which is not really acceptable, except that is how I actually talk in life.  I think.  You can weigh in on that one, too, if you want.  Acceptable or annoying?

13 comments:

Stephy said...

I vote for writing more often, even if YOU feel like the posts are mediocre - we enjoy them!

tawnya said...

Wait. What you're REALLY saying is that you've hated my last week of nonsense, right? This is REALLY all about ME, right? (I kid!)

Sigh...I know what you mean. I set an unannounced goal to post M-F this year. To see if I could make it often and meaningful. I can't. So now, 1/2 way through the year, I'm troubled about keeping up. Fear I'm losing something.

So I don't know the answer. But I would love to read whatever you had to say!

And I totally write a little more lazily on the blog. I really shouldn't. Gives some fodder that I shouldn't.

The Leithead Family said...

I love everything you have to say!I vote for more often too! And I love it when people write how they really talk. I think you lose personality if you are too grammatically correct!

Anonymous said...

Often for me too.

Anonymous said...

More often please..it is like watching "The Middle"..it make our days seem somewhat normal.

Laurel said...

"It's like watching The Middle." Anonymous, who are you? That is funny! Actually made me laugh right out loud. Thanks all for your votes of confidence and helping me think this through.

Laurel said...

well, there are actually flaws in your question, my dear, because your insightful posts aren't infrequent (you are insightful often) and your daily posts are meaningless.

So there.

I vote for just as much of you as we can get.

and i really really mean that.

(as for "the Middle", that was funny. as for starting sentences w/ conjunctions, me too.)

Laurel said...

AREN'T MEANINGLESS!
AREN'T...

wow. what a horrible typo.

xoxo

Laurel said...

Bwahahahaha! Laurel, you know what they say about Freudian slips? That was really funny!

Cam E. O. said...

Yes! Often, Well thought out! I don't care!! I love your stories! :) Just don't give up.

Stacey said...

Love Love Love your posts!! More often, please!!

Katelin said...

I love reading your blog! I'd say more often is good.. :) But I feel kind of the same brand of writers block...its been about 3 months I think since I have written in my blog, but I feel like I just have nothing good to say. Haha..and about the starting sentences with conjunctions? Well..I don't ever really end my sentences..I use a lot of "..."...and that is just how i talk..I never finish the one though in a sentences.. it's generally 1 though spread through a sentence..or two..or three.. So, I say embrace the disregard to grammatically correct words and proper syntax. Not enough people write like they think...or how...

Lisa-Marie said...

The more the merrier! That's what they say, isn't it?!?!?!? (I don't know who "they" is/are....but I tend to agree!)

You are always a beautiful writer.