Thursday, January 7, 2010

On My Mind

This is a portion of an interview with Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love from O Magazine. 

You tell a story in the book that is pivotal for you, about your grandmother. She was born with a cleft palate and thought to be unmarriageable, so she got an education and took care of herself, one day rewarding herself with a $20 fur-trimmed, wine-colored coat, which she adored. Eventually she does marry. And when she gives birth to her first daughter, she cuts up the coat to make something for the child.


Gilbert: That's the story of motherhood, in a large way. You take the thing that is most precious to you, and you cut it up and give it to somebody else who you love more than you love the thing. And we tend to idealize that, and I'm not sure we should. Because the sacrifice that it symbolizes is also huge. Her marriage and her seven children, in a life of constant struggle and deprivation — it was heavy. And that beautiful mind, that beautiful intellect, that exquisite sense of curiosity and exploration, was gone.

Hmmm...I feel a post coming.  But not today, because I have to cut something precious up and give it away in the form of cleaning up after Christmas holiday, and while I do, this will be burning around in my brain, gurgling up in my chest, and will perhaps have to pour out onto paper; it's just not sitting well after digestion.  Not at all.

For the whole interview go here.

8 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I can't wait for your post, because that is nauseating. Seriously, I get so SICK of these stupid intellectuals in the world who have NO idea about real life and real happiness. Lame.

Need to go- cutting up cloth to sew for my children's enjoyment. I'm just self-sacrificing like that.

Erin said...

She is obviously NOT a mother. And it is sad that she can't see how those attributes that she said were "gone" have actually shaped her life.

As in Eat, Pray, Love she openly states her issues with being selfish. Maybe in 10 more years she will write another book about how she has learned how to give selflessly!

tawnya said...

Hi! I just started reading your blog, so I hope you don't mind the crashing of the party!

I get why this comment could infuriate some, but I don't know that she's wrong. At least with some women. I think there IS a percentage of moms who are SO self sacrificing they sacrifice themselves (and dreams and aspirations) to death. I don't think sacrificing as a mom should include giving up all hopes, dreams and aspirations. Sometimes it's ok and necessary to keep something for you.

Did that make sense?

Jen said...

That beautiful mind, intellect and curiosity will help make her an excellent mother. Can't wait for your comments.

Laurel said...

Hey Tawnya,

Thanks for your thoughts. Funny enough I agree with you in a way. I have said in the past that we mothers do our girls a disservice when we over sacrifice (and our boys, too) but it isn't healthy for them to grow up thinking that they should get everything they want at the expense of another, nor is it a very good advertisement for motherhood. What girl seeing that growing up is going to want to take that on??

However, that said, I don't think that was all this lady was talking about. I take issue with her implication that my brain, my curiosity, and my intellect are wasted in motherhood. I hope women aren't ever convinced of that.

Jennifer said...

Hmmmmm....spoken like a true not-mother. There is nothing...NOTHING I would trade for the sacrifices I've made (and I don't think those sacrifices have included my intellect or curiosity!).

I believe I remember you telling me a story about your mom when we were in school. Didn't she have a promising future singing, and "give it up" to raise a beautiful family? Women like her, my grandmother (who had 13 children) and my mom inspire me with how they have brought their intellect, brain and curiosity to their mothering.

tawnya said...

Ah, I see. That's interesting. I didn't read that into it, but can see it now that you mentioned it. And you're right, that is definitely (most often) not the case. Not wasted, just used differently.

Thanks for letting me jump in with my crazy!

MelWhett said...

I can't wait to hear what you have to say. I read her "Eat, Pray & Love" and never have I been so underwhelmed by a 'critically acclaimed' book.