Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Author's note post publish:  I pushed the publish button at 1:07 am last night.  I wasn't sure I wanted to.  I wasn't sure I had really gotten to the heart of the matter.  What I wanted to do was publish pictures of Logan's birthday party, but when you say part 1 of a 3 part essay, you kind of feel pressured to supply part two.

And when I awoke this morning--or rather, was awoken this morning--it was, if not the first thing I thought about, then the second.  The thing is, I'm not really clear in my own brain about it all.  There is a basic dogma here that I'm not buying, but how to articulate it, I'm not sure.

What I know:  1) Elizabeth Gilbert and I disagree on some core values.  And that is okay.  She has a complete right to her opinion.  2) There is a difference between micro and macro.  Meaning, what she does in her personal life is her personal business, and I should have no say in that.  But when she affects the cultural attitude, I can and should have an opinion about that.  We should think a second time before we give everything a live and let live stamp.

It reminds me of a time when I watched Hallie Barry on Oprah.  She was saying how she would never marry again because, she didn't "need a man to complete her."  I don't take issue with her words necessarily.  She'd been through a bad divorce.  I get her bias.  But what struck me like a thunderbolt was the audience's response.  Everyone burst into applause.  It was a real women's power moment.  And I thought, "Do we all feel this way?  Are we all supposed to be convinced that marriage is a bad thing?"

I don't think that marriage and children stand in the way of a women's fulfillment.  I don't want our culture to buy into that.  I think that would breed a lot of unhappy women.  And so I pushed the publish button.  Ready or not. 

Feel free to weigh in, but be gentle.  I was up late last night. :0)

3 comments:

tawnya said...

I think it was lovely. While we have slight *slight!* disagreements about some of it, it gave me much to think about and a chance to flesh your thoughts out more. I always appreciate that! And seeing your Halle analogy made me understand even more.

And I really understand the feeling of "on my mind so much I HAVE to try to articulate it!".

Laurel said...

i'm SO behind on your blog...but i just have to comment on these last few posts (before I get caught up).

"intentional motherhood"...first of all, that's a book title, my dear. just fyi.

secondly, I SO agree with what you are saying in so many ways...which is one of the reasons why i know there are moments when my little heart hurts. because I KNOW it's an eternal truth...our little female selves were pre-programmed to give of ourselves in that way.

anyway...we really need to do lunch. xoxo

Jewel said...

I have so enjoyed reading your blog today, and the thoughts you have so eloquently expressed.

As one who married and had children "later in life" (at least, when compared to those with whom I was raised) I am well aware that one does not need a husband or children to complete her. But I am equally aware of the joy that a committed marriage and the blessing of children can bring to a woman already fulfilled and completed.

While admitting that I have not read Ms. Gilbert's words myself, I can say that if anything, I find myself pitying her for never giving herself the opportunity to understand the happiness that comes with the sacrifice of motherhood. It's something I wouldn't change for all the world.

Well said, Mrs. Wicke. All well said.