Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Choosing Motherhood (part 2 of a 3 part essay)

Choosing.  The older I get, the more I think that choosing is one of the trickiest part of living.  Here's why:  The most important choices we have to make are made when we have the least amount of experience to make them.  That's another reason why Gilbert's philosophy bothers me.  It just seems a little short sighted. 

See, I had a grandmother, as well.  Two to be exact.  Like Gilbert's grandmother, my Grandma Doty cut up a lot of things, too: Scraps of fabric were made into quilts for beds; old clothes were revamped and resized as needed; cardboard was cut to shelter feet where soles of shoes had worn through.  It was the depression.  It was hard, and it was heavy, but it would be a great assumption on my part to say that she was unhappy.  I was a spectator of her later years.  Much of her life is a mystery to me, and so I wonder:  Is Ms. Gilbert's grandmother's unhappiness a fact?  Or is it her own personal bias talking? 

Perhaps it is just as possible that her grandmother, thinking she would never have the chance to marry and have children, was deeply fulfilled.  Maybe not in the way of foreign travel or exotic foods--those things that Ms. Gilbert values--but maybe in the way of a warm hearth, and Sunday dinners, and kisses goodnight.  I'm sure she wasn't happy all the time, but who is?  I can also safely say that I'm sure she wasn't unhappy all the time either.  And, besides that, who's to say that "happy" is the great guidepost of life, anyway?

Sometimes, what will make us happy in the short run, will not be what's best for us long term.  The question is:  How are we to know that when our experience is so limited?

One of the reasons I am devoutly religious is that it gives me perspective outside of myself through thousands of years of discovery regarding the human soul.  It is not possible for me to live long enough or to conduct enough personal experiments to attain the wisdom I find in religious tenet, and I find it interesting that almost every religious theory has some basic belief in sacrifice or selflessness.  In some way, they all teach that in living for something beyond ourselves our lives will be more meaningful and satisfying--a long term result that often has difficult beginnings.  It isn't easy to give up some of the things I want.  It isn't easy to consider someone else all the time.  It isn't easy to compromise.  What is easy is doing exactly what I want, when I want to do it. 

That seems to be the road Elizabeth Gilbert chose in her book, and you know what?  I'm okay with that.  It's her choice, and I don't have to agree with it.  But what bothers me is the thousands of women she has influenced in both obvious and subtle ways.  She writes a book about her perspective--her truth--and we laugh along with her and nod our heads and get all excited about girl power, and it changes us a bit.  After reading it, how does a girl view motherhood?  How does a young mother feel about her new calling?  Do I, as a mother, consider my life wasted because it doesn't drip with excitement and self exploration?

Elizabeth Gilbert can write what she wants; I just want to be a voice for motherhood.  I believe in it.  We need good, devoted, intentional mothers because the world of tomorrow is riding on the backs of the moms today.  For the most part we are not glamorous; we are not famous; but we are, simply, the life-blood of the future. 

Look, I learned something from my grandma, too, and it is this:  At the end of the very long road of her 102 years, it was not the places she had been or the things that she had done that gave her life meaning.  No.  It was her children, her grandchildren, and her great grandchildren that meant the most.  She was surrounded and lifted up in our love, and while achievements will be forgotten, books will disinegrate, and careers will be ignored, my grandmother has left a living legacy that will never disappear.

Those are long-term results.  One's that aren't always evident in the short run of diaper changes, tantrums, or account balances.  I don't know if Ms. Gilbert is living with the end in mind, but I'm trying to.  Choices are a tricky thing.  Let's at least choose thoughtfully.

9 comments:

Erin said...

If you are referring to Eat Pray Love I gathered a little different perspective about Elizabeth Gilbert's experiences. I do think that she was struggling with choices. And it was such a vast deep chasm, she made some different turns then most would take. I don't feel that Elizabeth Gilbert values exotic travel and food over relationships. She made many friends and learned many things from the people she met on her travels. And she values those people. She allowed herself the time and money to have self exploration and really choose thoughtfully what she wanted to do with her life.

Maybe that is where the problem is. Jumping in with both feet and being true to yourself and your choice is where "cutting up your coat" becomes what is important. And spending time mulling over what might possibly be the best choice is what can leave you a little jaded.

Rochelleht said...

This, Laurel, is why tomorrow's trip to Mexico isn't just about the salt water, sand and sun. It's about the 30+ people who gather around 101 year-old Grandma and represent the legacy of a life well-lived. Without her, nothing else is possible.

Erin said...

I found this quote from Elizabeth very interesting. I was just thinking that it is all in perspective and her own interpretation of her grandmother's words.

"Probably the most surprising moment was when my grandmother told me that-while she loved her children and felt the happiest moments of her life during motherhood-she prayed that I would never have children of my own, and would instead dedicate my life to writing books and traveling. There was something very tender and touching in that revelation."

What did her grandmother really mean?

Ella said...

I can't get your quote, Laurel, out of my mind - the one you whisphered to your baby as you plucked him from his crib: "You are my trip to India . . . you are my ride on an elephant." I hope I never forget it or what it means.

tawnya said...

I love your thoughts on choices. Because, really, that's what it's all about. As an LDS mom who took 7 years to convince herself to have a kid, I definitely fall (or identify with) Gilbert. It's NOT an easy choice for some of us. It's NOT an ingrained, "of course I'll have kids" thing. It NOT something I've always wanted! When I chose, it was difficult - is STILL difficult for me.

So, I get what she's saying. Even with my eternal perspective, I find myself understanding and wishing we would cut her some slack. She did (is doing) what is right for her. That's all I hope for any woman.

Laurel said...

Hey Tawnya & Erin--I get it, too. I struggle. My twenties was all about struggling with this choice. And I don't mean to attack Gilbert; she has the right to her choices, as I said.

What I take issue with is our cultural response to it. Our culture seems to buy into the notion that motherhood and marriage stand in opposition to a woman's fulfillment. That cultural notion affects a lot of women's choices. Sometimes I think we need opposing opinions out there. That's what I'm attempting to do because I think it's possible to be both.

And to be honest, I don't think this is my best work. I really struggled to wrap my mind and words around this topic. I woke up today still thinking about it. So I appreciate your input.

tawnya said...

Ah, I get that. It IS hard to find a voice saying you can be both - fulfilled as a woman and a mother. Maybe that is because some (like me) find it incredibly difficult? Or maybe because different women have different thoughts on fulfillment? I'm not sure.

However, I think you did a good thing. I've been thinking about it for days, morphing my words and opinions. In fact, I just finished my blog post about it that I've been working on since your first post about it!

So, not your best or yes, I'll be back and reading because I enjoy your perspective.

Hamilton Family said...

You are making people think!!! That is what is important! Thanks for allowing me to jump deeper into my own thoughts today! It's good to contemplate while doing dishes, sorting laundry, scrubbing toilets etc. It is great mind exercise mixed in with physical exercise! XOXOXO

Shana said...

I just finished reading your recent posts on motherhood and choices. It took me a minute to clear my eyes from the watery hayes in them and compose my emotions. I am so moved by your words and insight.
Lately I have felt a lot of the feelings you described when you were pregnant with Lincoln. Although we planned for this third child, I feel at times very overwhelmed with the thought of having three small ones at home with me. Some days already feel a little overwheming, how can I handle three?
However, as hard as it may be when this third one comes, and whatever I will have to sacrifice to have him/her, I know it will be so worth it in the end.
Like you, the second they hand me my new baby, I weep. I cry like a baby.
And I assure you it isn't because I'm going to be missing out on the latest episode of my favorite shows, or because of the lack of sleep I will be getting, or because of how huge and sore my breasts will get while I'm nursing, or because my husband and I will have to hold off on our dream vacations. I weep because it never seems to amaze me that I have the capacity to love someone that I just met so much. In those few minutes after this innocent soul has come from God's presence to me, I experience what my Heavenly Father must feel for me as his daughter. It is just like heaven on earth.
Nothing I sacrifice to have a child would ever surpass the special moments and overwelming love I feel.
Thanks for reminding me of those feelings when I was a little panicky.
I love you! XOXO