Thursday, September 3, 2009

New Math

one cut finger
+
3 hours
+
multiples messes
+
one very sore thumbnail
----------------------
7 quarts of canned peaches x slight discouragement


I can't believe that math is correct, but I've double checked it a few times and yes, indeed, I do only have seven quarts. I think Grandma Doty must have been faster at this. She must have been or she would have quit. So...my goal today? Get faster.

And to get rid of the discouragement, I'm going to remember this as I work:

"Actions do speak louder than words...there is the reminder that love is not simply a noun and not simply a sentimental feeling. The proof of love is what one is willing to do for the loved one. The proof of love is how one behaves." --Richard L. Evans

Today, as I provide a home for my family and all the drudgery that sometimes requires, I'm going to remember that my efforts are proof of my love. My work and sacrifices are a living testiment to my love for my husband and children.

...even if it's only seven quarts. (Argh.)

6 comments:

The Kriloff Klan said...

The biggest problem with your equation is that you are doing it all alone. Not only does your sum double, you can also enjoy yourself a bit more! Do call when you are going to do this again! I would love to come help! Besides, I'll bring my canning stuff & we can really bust it out!

Britany said...

7 quarts of love is better than mine = zero! Maybe you will inspire me... keep blogging about it! :)

desert mom said...

You have to admit that those are the "prettiest peaches ever" sitting on the shelf. And they'll taste sooo good. Good job Laurel!!!

The Leithead Family said...

You and your family will really appreciate those peaches when you eat them! Canning is a lot of work and you will get faster. My tomatoes are having problems ripening. I am secretly hoping they don't - then I won't have to can salsa this year. :) terrible.

Deanna said...

I need to introduce you to the case lot sale. Okay so I know it is not the point to just have the shelves stocked. I still wonder how my mom did all that she did with us kids under her feet. I'm starting the salsa project...about half way though I will wonder why.... hopefully someday it will all make more sense.

Tamara said...

I have a friend who inspired me to try and make some chokecherry jelly recently. Chokecherries are abundant here in Sheridan. They grow on the sides of the roads and even on the walking path I frequently walk on. Anyway, lets just say I didn't have the stamina. We spent an entire day picking and juicing them...what a mess! I know we didn't have the right tools, but we used every pot, pan, and bowl I owned. My friend took all the juice home with her (6-7 quarts), and then we planned to get together and make and can jelly. She ended up doing it alone. I just couldn't find the time to get over there. When she brought the finished product to me yesterday, I felt like such a shmuck. I will do better next year. For the record, I did help pick the chokecherries!