Thursday, September 10, 2009

Mr. Beige and the Bouquet

He stood out in Costco like a sore thumb. Surrounded by lines of shoppers with carts overflowing, he held only a bouquet of flowers in his hand. No one buys one item in Costco. If he hadn't been such an aberration, I may not have noticed him at all.

He was the original Mr. Beige: A conservative intent on blending in. Brown, casual lace-ups, beige Dockers, brown belt, a beige shirt interrupted only by an innocuous, retreating plaid. Even his hair was brown with small patches of grey near the ears and male pattern balding in the back. He was not old, but his posture aged him. Sloped shoulders and a bit of a stoop is not the walk of a strong, young man. Mr. Beige did not appear to be a man to make an imprint on the world.

But there he was carrying a wildly colorful bouquet of eye-popping red sunflowers, purple lupine, and bright yellow achillea. The contrast between his flower selection and his indistinct appearance held my attention. Apparently he wasn't beige to his bones. Mr. Beige possessed a heart of sunflowers and lupine, the heart of a romantic. The thought made me smile.

Was it possible Mr. Beige was wooing someone? One look at his left hand told me he was a married man. Most married men don't bring home flowers often. What was the special occasion? Or was it an attempt to smooth something over. To fill the too large space that sometimes lives inside a marriage. Was it an apology for some inconsiderate remark? Or could it be a celebration? A milestone to share together? Or just maybe it was for no special reason at all, except to say that she was special, just the way she was. Whatever the reason, there he stood with his heart in his hands, that flamboyantly hopeful heart which he would give to someone important.

I hoped she would appreciate it. That she wouldn't be too busy to give it the moment it deserved. That she wouldn't be intent on holding a grudge or winning the battle or lengthening that empty space, but that she would take his heart, hold it, admire it, water it, and cherish it. That she would kiss him hard and mean it.

As I watched him pay and walk away toward the big open doors and the rest of his life, I hoped someone out there saw Mr. Beige in technicolor. Perhaps he had made his mark on someone's world after all. As those brilliantly red sunflowers disappeared from sight, I truly hoped so.

11 comments:

eu Thiago said...

your blog is very good!!!!
rsrs
Brazil

The Kriloff Klan said...

I was super lucky to receive flowers last week...just because. Thanks for letting me think about it in a whole new way! I think that I will kiss him hard when he gets home tonight, all over again!

Happy Warrior in Training said...

I did not know you were in Costco when I was... Yes, like Mr. Beighe, I know my life is lived at a "7" and I'm a "shadows person". I'm just greatful that my "10" (that is you)appreciates the gestures for what they represent. While we shadow (and beige) people are comfortable with our level we like few things more than to brighten the lives of those we love. Giving flowers seems to make the sun shine that much brighter.

The Carey Family said...

Laurel,
I just love your writing. It is inspiring and uplifting. You help us all to have a greater understanding and appreciation for others and all that we have. I hope you write a book someday!

Rochelleht said...

You are so awesome. When I'm at the store, I'm not noticing the people aroung me. All I can hope for is that Derick won't have an outburst. Beige, we are not. I wish we were beige...

Stacey said...

That is a wonderful post. Your writing is inspiring and your words are so descriptive. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Audrey said...

I hope so too!!! Thanks for sharing. It is a rare gift when we are pricked with a hope for the triumph of another. Bravo Laurel! And all the best to you, Mr. Beige!

Ella said...

You are such a good writer Laurel - you should publish.

Deanna said...

I love reading your blog. you are so inspiring on so many different levels. I love your insight, it's such a great reminder to enjoy the world around me instead of getting so caught up in my own.

The Leithead Family said...

wow! another beautiful post. thank you.

Bloom said...

just linked over from katie cowan's blog and loved this post. i love to evaluate people by their purchases at the grocery store and wonder about their life.

great writing, Laurel.

and the notes from your daughter below are beyond sweet.